* small nitpick  about tics and alway visible groups
@ 2004-03-05 18:28 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-03-05 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just wondering about this:

Ticking a message in  a group will cause that group to show an
asterisk and always be visible... even when no new messages.
I like that.  But I believe this should also apply to msgs marked
dormant which is just another tic really.

I think it was once like that.... but may have been way back.

I commonly use ticking to make some thing visible rather than edit G
p or A p etc.  Since that kind of desire often changes with me.
I'm pretty sure I used to do this with dormant marks so I wouldn't
ahve to actually look the ticked msg.  Just use to render the group
visible for some temporary duration.

Any see problems with domant marks causing the same behavior as
ticked in so far a rendering a group visible?

* Re: small nitpick  about tics and alway visible groups
@ 2004-03-05 20:15 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-03-05 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Any see problems with domant marks causing the same behavior as
> ticked in so far a rendering a group visible?

Yes, I would object strongly.

The whole _point_ of dormant ticks is that they put the message `in the
background' until it's revealed by a reply.  Having groups that are
displayed with an asterix and yet which reveal no contents when entered
would be (1) confusing, and (2) annoying.

> I think it was once like that.... but may have been way back.

If so, it must have been a _very_ long time ago -- I've used dormant
marks for many, many, years, and they've always had the current behavior
as far as I can recall.  [I've been using Gnus since GNUS (1992-ish?),
though obviously my memory of such triva from 10 years ago is pretty
dim!]

-Miles
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson

* Re: small nitpick  about tics and alway visible groups
@ 2004-03-06 11:24   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-03-06 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

>> I think it was once like that.... but may have been way back.
>
> If so, it must have been a _very_ long time ago -- I've used dormant
> marks for many, many, years, and they've always had the current behavior
> as far as I can recall.  [I've been using Gnus since GNUS (1992-ish?),
> though obviously my memory of such triva from 10 years ago is pretty
> dim!]

I started around the middle of `Quassia' so you've got longer
whiskers on this...