The change I'd made a while ago to gnus-mime-copy-part for jka-compr auto-decompression never actually worked with emacs 20, it bombs prompting for a coding system and then sending the wrong bytes out to gzip. Eg. press "c" on the foo.txt.gz below to see it happen. I think the part contents have to be sent out from a unibyte buffer to avoid conversions, * gnus-art.el (gnus-mime-jka-compr-maybe-uncompress): Take contents parameter, use a unibyte buffer for that data to get the right bytes out of call-process-region under emacs 20. (gnus-mime-copy-part): Pass contents parameter.