Hi, I was experiencing a problem where `gnus-face-from-file' was creating invalid PNG images. I tracked the problem down to my use of `prefer-coding-system' to give highest priority to a multibyte coding system. Apparently `mm-with-unibyte-buffer' isn't sufficient when a string inserted into it has already been decoded from its source as multibyte. My solution was to specify `coding-system-for-read' as `binary' for the call to `gnus-shell-command-to-string', and I have attached a patch to that effect (against ognus-0.18).