From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>
Subject: Re: pgp problem?
Date: 14 Dec 2000 10:42:48 +1100	[thread overview]

Mike Pullen <mpullen@midwest.net> writes:

> I alway get [PGP Signed Part:Failed] when trying to verify a
> signature. When I click on this button I get the following errors:
>
> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: armor header: Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.5 and Gnu Privacy Guard <http://www.gnupg.org/>
> gpg: Signature made Wed 13 Dec 2000 02:43:42 PM CST using DSA key ID 86574ACA
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
>
> Does gpg.el need to see the PGP signature at the end of the message?
> Gnus keeps hiding it, even though I have gnus-treat-strip-pgp set to
> nil.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have the public keys for those people in your keyring? Without
that key, gpg cannot do anything about verifying the signature.

The easiest automatic way to have that work is to add a keyserver to
your gpg configuration file, such as:

,----[ ~/.gnupg/options ]
| keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net
`----

Then gpg will try and fetch the public key from that keyserver if it
does not already have it. The gpg manual has more information on this, I
think.

        Daniel

--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
        -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum