* mime, charset=iso-8859-1
@ 1996-04-16 16:13 Colin Rafferty
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-04-16 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.  I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I figure that
since I use Gnus (sgnus 0.52) to read, no place like here:

I like using the built-in MIME features for reading, but when I get an
article with a charset=iso-8859-1, I get the following junk in the top:

> ---Executing: shownonascii
> This message contains non-ASCII text, but the iso-8859-1 font
> has apparently not yet been installed on this machine.
> (There is no directory named /home/scohan/mm2.7/src/fonts.)
> What follows may be partially unreadable, but the English (ASCII) parts
> should still be readable.

I understand what this means.  Can somebody please let me know how how I
could change this message, or failing that, where is actually comes
from?

Thanks a lot.

--
Colin Rafferty
Violate the Communications Decency Act.

  "Thou shalt betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her."
  (Punishment for anyone who violates the commandments, Deuteronomy 28:30)

* Re: mime, charset=iso-8859-1
@ 1996-04-16 16:54 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-04-16 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

  sh-output> ---Executing: shownonascii
  sh-output> This message contains non-ASCII text, but the iso-8859-1
  sh-output> font has apparently not yet been installed on this
  sh-output> machine.  (There is no directory named
  sh-output> /home/scohan/mm2.7/src/fonts.)  What follows may be
  sh-output> partially unreadable, but the English (ASCII) parts
  sh-output> should still be readable.

  Colin> I understand what this means.  Can somebody please let me
  Colin> know how how I could change this message, or failing that,
  Colin> where is actually comes from?

Looks like it's coming from metamail.  Try running metamail on the
article by yourself (if the article is stored in file 4711, run
metamail 4711).

I know next to nothing about Metamail.
kai
--
There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.

* Re: mime, charset=iso-8859-1
@ 1996-04-16 18:46 ` Per Persson
From: Per Persson @ 1996-04-16 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

craffert@ml.com (Colin Rafferty) writes:

   I understand what this means.  Can somebody please let me know how how
   I could change this message, or failing that, where is actually comes
   from?

Setting the shell variable $MM_QUIET to "1" should make metamail spew
less shit then it does by default.

It does come from metamail, as Kai says. Read the metamail(1) manual
pages for more information on how to make it shut up like it should.

--
Bahnhof; http://www.bahnhof.se/      <pp@bahnhof.se> | a   difference   of
  (work) phone(voice/fax):      +46 18 100899/103737 | opinion is possible

* Re: mime, charset=iso-8859-1
@ 1996-04-16 23:04 ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-04-16 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you're actually using an iso-8859-1 font in emacs and in general,
you should probably change your /etc/mailcap (wherever it calls
shownonascii) to just pass the text through. (Perhaps emacs mime
support could be more clever and figure that out itself... you can
tell from the font name (at least under X) after all...)