* having a problem with group subscription and unsubscription
@ 2021-07-28 12:26 John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-28 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi.  I am having problems with subscribing and unsubscribing to new
groups.

I have
'(gnus-browse-subscribe-newsgroup-method
'gnus-subscribe-hierarchically)
'(gnus-subscribe-hierarchical-interactive t)
 '(gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-hierarchically)

Now when I start gnus, I get the buffer which contains the groups I
am subscribed to.  Now, what I have been doing which is probably wrong
is to hit ^ to go to the server buffer,  find the server I want to
look at and hit enter.  Then the active file is read and I get a K for
each group on the server and nothing for each group I am subscribed
to.  The variables I mentioned above seem to have no effect, so wha am
I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: having a problem with group subscription and unsubscription
@ 2021-07-28 13:05 ` dick
From: dick @ 2021-07-28 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Covici; +Cc: ding

JC> The variables I mentioned seem to have no effect, so wha am I doing wrong here?

That you believe the gnus function and variable names bear any relation to
what they do (if anything) or represent.  The other thing you might be doing wrong is
believing USENET, or what's left of it, is worthy of your time.

JC> Then the active file is read and I get a K for each group on the server
JC> and nothing for each group I am subscribed to.

By "nothing" I assume you mean an empty space, e.g.,

   86398: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
K     30: gmane.emacs.gnus.patches
K    262: gmane.emacs.gnus.semi

If so, press "u" to subscribe/unsubscribe.  Then "q" back to the *Group*
buffer.  Yes, the linked command to "u" is
"gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group" which you would think does the
*opposite* of subscribing, but see my earlier comment about gnus making any
logical sense.

* Re: having a problem with group subscription and unsubscription
@ 2021-07-29  0:29 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-07-29  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:

> Hi.  I am having problems with subscribing and unsubscribing to new
> groups.
>
> I have
> '(gnus-browse-subscribe-newsgroup-method
> 'gnus-subscribe-hierarchically)
> '(gnus-subscribe-hierarchical-interactive t)
>  '(gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-hierarchically)
>
> Now when I start gnus, I get the buffer which contains the groups I
> am subscribed to.  Now, what I have been doing which is probably wrong
> is to hit ^ to go to the server buffer,  find the server I want to
> look at and hit enter.  Then the active file is read and I get a K for
> each group on the server and nothing for each group I am subscribed
> to.  The variables I mentioned above seem to have no effect, so wha am
> I doing wrong here?

I think those subscription settings only take effect when automatically
scanning for _new_ newsgroups, using `gnus-check-new-newsgroups'. That
process doesn't run every time you open the *Server* buffer.