From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: search for mark over Groups topic not working
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 14:27:45 -0700	[thread overview]

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 03 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using the latest gnus-search in emacs master, with groups in nnimap
>>> over several mailboxes and also notmuch folders, distributed among
>>> several topics (all of them under [Gnus], no deeper nesting).  Searching
>>> for marks on those topics (e.g. mark:!), works fine.  But when i go to
>>> the [Gnus] parent topic and repeat the search, it always comes back
>>> empty.  I see traces of all subgroups being searched, but the nnselect
>>> group comes back empty.  Other searches (say, over the body of the
>>> messages) work fine (i.e., if the search finds mails on topic [Foo]
>>> under [Gnus], it also finds those same messages when the search is
>>> performed on [Gnus]).
>>>
>>> Is anybody experiencing this problem?
>>
>> Sorry, I missed this when you first posted it.
>>
>> That's pretty weird! So to make sure I've got this right: the search
>> only fails when you search the [Gnus] topic,
>
> right
>
>> and only when searching for marks?
>
> i cannot say categorically that it's /only/ for marks, but it definitely
> happens with marks.  i have an emacs compiled yesterday.
>
> the logs in message show no error for the groups containing marked
> articles.  only for the nndraft:drafts group:
>
>   Search engine for nndraft: improperly configured: No search engine configured for nndraft:
>
> (as far as i can tell, nndraft is an "automatic" server, i haven't added
> it explicitly in my config, so i'm no sure what's the proper way of
> configuring its search engine.)
>
> and i also get one of those messages for the nnselect server (which i
> guess it's a little bug, in that those groups cannot have a search
> engine, can they?)
>
>   Search engine for nnselect: improperly configured: No search engine configured for nnselect:
>
> my expectation is that those errors shouldn't affect the collection of
> results, right? all the other groups are either nnimap or nntp (with
> notmuch as the search engine).

You're right, and I just realized that the code I put in place to handle
this exact situation (if you're searching across multiple backends,
search failure on one backend shouldn't prevent other backends from
returning their results) is brain-dead: it's a condition-case, and even
if we handle the error that doesn't mean that the code will continue
executing. O for Common Lisp's restarts! Give me a little bit and I'll
rework the code to do what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for the report,
Eric