Uwe Brauer writes: [...] > > This function is called when I am sending a message and stored in the > diary. > The point is, maybe in 3 weeks I want to read it again, so I visit the > diary and just want to click on its ID. That is the use case For Org, there is ol-gnus.el: You can call `org-store-link' in `gnus-summary-mode' or `gnus-article-mode', and it will save a link to the current article. You can the insert that link into an Org buffer using `org-insert-last-stored-link'. So, if you'd like to store links to Gnus messages in Org files, you can use ol-gnus.el out of the box, and only add bindings for the store and insert functions for convenience. If you'd like to make links in non-Org files, you may find it useful to look through ol-gnus.el as a starting point. Hope this helps.