* Can't access local imap account: GNUTls error
@ 2016-03-04  2:44 Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-03-04  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just moved two accounts from talking directly to an Imap server, to
talking to a local Dovecot server that's synced with the remote server.
Knowing this could cause weirdness, I completely deleted the previous
two servers from Gnus, and created two new ones with different names.

I now have three such local-Dovecot servers. Three of them connect just
fine, one doesn't. All four have identical settings, so I don't know
what's going on. The error on the problematic one looks like this:

Warning: Opening nnimap server on NEA...failed: ; Unable to open server
nnimap+NEA due to: make client process failed: Connection refused,
:name, *nnimap*, :buffer, *nnimap localhost nil *nntpd**, :host,
localhost, :service, 993, :nowait, nil, :tls-parameters, nil

The only thing that looks weird there is ":service, 993" -- Dovecot is
not set up for ssl, and none of the accounts use it. All four accounts
look like this:

(nnimap "servername"
  (nnimap-address "localhost")
  (nnnimap-stream network)
  (nnimap-authenticator login)
  (nnimap-user "login@domain.com"))

I've confirmed that I can connect and log in to this account from the
command line, using telnet to 143. Telnet to 993, as expected, refuses
to connect.

I tried to force Gnus to use 143 by setting (nnimap-server-port 143),
and also by setting (nnimap-stream plain), but with those settings in
place it gives me a "GNUTls error: -15".

In ~/.emacs.d/network-security.data there is this line:

(:id "sha1:386adc29ea9f8f85b96e8978bad43e925f1ab750" :fingerprint :none
:host "localhost:imap" :conditions (:unencrypted))

I can't think of what else could be causing this problem. Why just one
account out of four?

Is there any other information I can provide?

Thanks,
Eric