* "loopback" email setup for testing?
@ 2014-07-26 12:12 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-26 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm doing a bunch of email testing, and feel sort of stupid littering
one email account with bogus "test #24" messages from another, over and
over again. Not to mention it would be nice to be able to test gnus and
related functions while offline.

I've never used the unix mail spool -- is this something I could do
locally, in a way that gnus wouldn't know the messages weren't going
anywhere?

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: "loopback" email setup for testing?
@ 2014-07-26 12:23 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-07-26 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> I'm doing a bunch of email testing, and feel sort of stupid littering
> one email account with bogus "test #24" messages from another, over and
> over again. Not to mention it would be nice to be able to test gnus and
> related functions while offline.

You don't need to be online to be able to deliver mail locally.

> I've never used the unix mail spool -- is this something I could do
> locally, in a way that gnus wouldn't know the messages weren't going
> anywhere?

You could add a procmail rule that just discards the mails.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: "loopback" email setup for testing?
@ 2014-07-26 12:42   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-26 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>> I'm doing a bunch of email testing, and feel sort of stupid littering
>> one email account with bogus "test #24" messages from another, over and
>> over again. Not to mention it would be nice to be able to test gnus and
>> related functions while offline.
>
> You don't need to be online to be able to deliver mail locally.

That's what I meant -- if I could do the testing locally, I wouldn't
have to be online.

>> I've never used the unix mail spool -- is this something I could do
>> locally, in a way that gnus wouldn't know the messages weren't going
>> anywhere?
>
> You could add a procmail rule that just discards the mails.

Okay, thanks for the tip. I suppose that's something I'd have to install
and set up. I'll take a look...