From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How to get this debugged (pressing g fails)
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:56:43 -0400	[thread overview]

[...]

Katsumi wrote:
>> Grep doesn't hit such a words combination in the Gnus source or
>> the Emacs source, but Google does.  For instance, bitbucket[1]
>> shows this:
>>
>> (defadvice gnus-group-get-new-news (around gnus-timeout activate)
>>   "Timeout for Gnus."
>>   (with-timeout
>>       (5 (message "Gnus timed out.") (debug))
>>     ad-do-it))
>>
>> Do you have the one like that in your ~/.gnus.el file?  If so,
>> too small timeout seconds (5 in that case) may cause the problem.
>>
>> [1] <https://bitbucket.org/kindahero/emacsd/src/9a4c7b1e85a3ee9e80ca53f32260a6bc36e90f8a/init-gnus.el>

Harry responded:
> Haa, you got it Katsumi.  Now I remember a good while back being
> disgusted with long stalls from gnus and so thought I was being very
> clever by putting that code in .gnus, making gnus fail and tell me
> why. Instead of just setting there endlessly.

[...]

I may have been overly optimistic above.

Increasing the timeout seemed to do the job at first but after a few
refreshes it needed to be increased repeatedly.

Finally, after commenting that timeout code, I see why I'd put it
there long ago. I was experiencing endless waits when pressing 'g'.
I've just been working around the problem for so long... I forgot.

What happens is: calling gnus-group-get-new-news leads to a never
ending wait that never finishes.

All my nnimap, nnml groups go thru the process ending with nndrafts.
From there is goes to the nntp groups... once that starts its going to
just set there to eternity until I hit C-g.

I don't believe it is a connection issue because a manual refresh of
individual nntp (`gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group') groups finishes
with only a small pause.

Further, a restart happens in a normal amount of time which also calls
that code gnus-group-get-new-news (I think).

So in summary: I

I can refresh all groups by closing and restarting gnus in a normal
amount of time.

I can refresh groups individually or even en-masse by process marking
and pressing M-g (gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group)

However pressing 'g' in a group buffer ( `gnus-group-get-new-news' )
leads to a never ending process that only stops with C-g

Watching the nntp-log buffer when I press C-g to terminate the wait
I see it stopped at the first nntp newsguy group.  So I'm thinking
there is some cantankerous newsguy group.

However, Pressing A M <RET> newsguy <RET> to find all newsguy groups,
then process marking and pressing M-g
(`gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group'), they all get processed with
only a brief wait... maybe 10 seconds.  So doesn't seem to be a
problem newsguy group causing the trouble
I suspect the trouble is caused by something I've done but not sure
how get to root of the trouble.

How can I determine what gnus is doing during that never ending wait
produced by pressing 'g' (`gnus-group-get-new-news') in group buffer?