From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: [nnimap gmail] confused by phenomena
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 17:51:01 -0400	[thread overview]

> Oh, and I think Eric S Fraga's suggestion is the obvious one to try,
> i.e. try this:
>
>     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "a-nice-name"
>                                       (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>
>     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                             '(nnimap "the-other"
>                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>
>     machine a-nice-name login hputnam3@gmail.com password xxxxxxxx port imap
>     machine the-other login harrygp3@gmail.com password xxxxxxxx port imap
>
> Where you can replace "a-nice-name" and "the-other" with whatever you
> want; I merely choose something different than "hputnam3" and "harrygp3"
> to make it explicit that they don't have to have anything to do with
> your email-addresses/the login fields.
>
> Actually, I just tried that with two gmail-accounts, and it worked.

Thank you Adam
And especially you Eric

For putting your finger directly on the source of my confusion... The
term 'machine'; where I expected it to equate to 'host' as it does in
many thousands of conversations between linux/unix users.  And for
that matter as it does in all but the imap lines in (my) .authinfo

For example this one:

'machine enews.newsguy.com login reader password xxxxxxx'

enews.newsguy.com is a real hostname that needs to be queried about
the UID reader.... Its not a 'LABEL' that needs to match the UID.

And thanks to all posters in both of my threads for showing uncommon
patience with profound ill-informedness (political correctness for
deep seated dunce) on my part.

PS - The suggestions by Eric and a few others in these threads have
worked admirably:
(wrapped for mail)
   machine hputnam3 login hputnam3@gmail.com \
   password xxxxxx port imap force yes