* several issues with non ascii characters in group names
@ 2013-05-16 19:24 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-05-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

(there was an encoding problem with the previous message, here again
with the right encoding)

Hi,

Sometimes, I use accented characters in group names. There are several
problems with such groups:

1.) No completion on Gcc: line in message buffer

For example, if I type "Gcc: st" and then press the TAB key, I get this
completion buffer:

Possible completions are:
steph
st\303\251phane

But it should be "steph" and "stéphane".

And there is no completion, when typing "sté" and then TAB.

2.) Several entries in server buffer for the same group

For the group "stéphane" for example, I have these lines in the server
buffer:

U      8: stéphane
U      1: stéphane
U      1: stéphane
U     10: stéphane

Not a big problem, just strange.

3.) Some messages are not displayed in summary buffer

For example in my group "stéphane" there are 10 messages. There are also
10 lines in the Mail/stéphane/.overview file, but only 8 are displayed
in the summary buffer. How can I see the other 2 messages in Gnus?

TIA for any help,
--
           Peter

* Re: several issues with non ascii characters in group names
@ 2013-05-16 23:29 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-05-16 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

Peter Münster wrote:
> Sometimes, I use accented characters in group names. There are several
> problems with such groups:

> 1.) No completion on Gcc: line in message buffer

> For example, if I type "Gcc: st" and then press the TAB key, I get this
> completion buffer:

> Possible completions are:
> steph
> st\303\251phane

> But it should be "steph" and "stéphane".

> And there is no completion, when typing "sté" and then TAB.

I've fixed it in the Gnus Git master and the Emacs Bzr trunk.
Completion may take time if you have a ton of groups, though.

> 2.) Several entries in server buffer for the same group

> For the group "stéphane" for example, I have these lines in the server
> buffer:

*Group* buffer?

> U      8: stéphane
> U      1: stéphane
> U      1: stéphane
> U     10: stéphane

> Not a big problem, just strange.

I guess you have those four groups; in `active', the human-readable
names are the same but encodings differ.  A possible solution would
be to copy all the existing articles to a temporary group, delete
those non-ASCII groups, create the non-ASCII group again, and move
the saved articles there.

> 3.) Some messages are not displayed in summary buffer

> For example in my group "stéphane" there are 10 messages. There are also
> 10 lines in the Mail/stéphane/.overview file, but only 8 are displayed
> in the summary buffer. How can I see the other 2 messages in Gnus?

Does typing `10000 RET' on that group help?

* Re: several issues with non ascii characters in group names
@ 2013-05-17  7:12   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-05-17  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, May 17 2013, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> And there is no completion, when typing "sté" and then TAB.
>
> I've fixed it in the Gnus Git master and the Emacs Bzr trunk.
> Completion may take time if you have a ton of groups, though.

Thanks, I'll try it in a moment.

>> 2.) Several entries in server buffer for the same group
>
>> For the group "stéphane" for example, I have these lines in the server
>> buffer:
>
> *Group* buffer?

No. The *Gnus Browse Server* {nnml:Email} buffer. This never happens in
the group buffer.

>> U      8: stéphane
>> U      1: stéphane
>> U      1: stéphane
>> U     10: stéphane
>
>> Not a big problem, just strange.
>
> I guess you have those four groups; in `active', the human-readable
> names are the same but encodings differ.

Yes. I have these lines in the active file:
stéphane 10 1 y
stéphane 1 1 y
stéphane 1 1 y
stéphane 8 1 y

But encodings don't differ: everything is utf-8.

> A possible solution would be to copy all the existing articles to a
> temporary group, delete those non-ASCII groups, create the non-ASCII
> group again, and move the saved articles there.

How? Just "cp stéphane/* tmp" ?

Some further information:

- After restarting Gnus, I've seen all 10 messages in the summary
  buffer. But later, when creating the summary buffer once again, there
  were only 8 messages

- It happens *always* with every group that has accented characters.
  Other examples from the *Gnus Browse Server* buffer:

U      7: jérôme
U      3: jérôme
U      2: jérôme
U      4: jérôme
U      4: jérôme
U      5: jérôme
U      3: jürgen
U      3: jürgen
U      3: jürgen
U      3: jürgen
U      3: jürgen
U      3: jürgen
U     19: valérie
U     12: valérie
U      7: valérie
U     13: valérie
U     13: valérie
U     18: valérie

>> 3.) Some messages are not displayed in summary buffer
>
>> For example in my group "stéphane" there are 10 messages. There are also
>> 10 lines in the Mail/stéphane/.overview file, but only 8 are displayed
>> in the summary buffer. How can I see the other 2 messages in Gnus?
>
> Does typing `10000 RET' on that group help?

No... :(

Thanks for your efforts,
--

@ 2013-05-17 10:56     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-05-17 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Peter Münster wrote:
>>> 2.) Several entries in server buffer for the same group
>>
>>> For the group "stéphane" for example, I have these lines in the server
>>> buffer:
>>
>> *Group* buffer?

> No. The *Gnus Browse Server* {nnml:Email} buffer. This never happens in
> the group buffer.

Ah, I see (I rarely see nnml's server, so I didn't think of it).

>>> U      8: stéphane
>>> U      1: stéphane
>>> U      1: stéphane
>>> U     10: stéphane
>>
>>> Not a big problem, just strange.
>>
>> I guess you have those four groups; in `active', the human-readable
>> names are the same but encodings differ.

> Yes. I have these lines in the active file:
> stéphane 10 1 y
> stéphane 1 1 y
> stéphane 1 1 y
> stéphane 8 1 y

> But encodings don't differ: everything is utf-8.

Hmm.  I've ever faced it in the past, though I don't recall how
they were made.  But this should be why the server buffer list
those four.

>> A possible solution would be to copy all the existing articles to a
>> temporary group, delete those non-ASCII groups, create the non-ASCII
>> group again, and move the saved articles there.

> How? Just "cp stéphane/* tmp" ?

It will do, but you'll need to run
`M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory RET DIR_NAME RET'
after restoring the articles in the *new* stéphane group.
Instead, doing `B c' or `B m' in the summary buffer seems better.
As for deleting those duplicate groups, I'm not sure `G DEL' does
work as expected, though (you might have to edit manually active,
and .newsrc.eld :<).

> Some further information:

> - After restarting Gnus, I've seen all 10 messages in the summary
>   buffer. But later, when creating the summary buffer once again, there
>   were only 8 messages

> - It happens *always* with every group that has accented characters.
>   Other examples from the *Gnus Browse Server* buffer:

> U      7: jérôme
> U      3: jérôme
> U      2: jérôme
> U      4: jérôme
> U      4: jérôme
> U      5: jérôme
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U     19: valérie
> U     12: valérie
> U      7: valérie
> U     13: valérie
> U     13: valérie
> U     18: valérie

Oh, that's too bad.

>>> 3.) Some messages are not displayed in summary buffer
>>
>>> For example in my group "stéphane" there are 10 messages. There are also
>>> 10 lines in the Mail/stéphane/.overview file, but only 8 are displayed
>>> in the summary buffer. How can I see the other 2 messages in Gnus?
>>
>> Does typing `10000 RET' on that group help?

> No... :(

Anyway I'd like to know what happens after re-creating those groups.
Good luck.

* Re: several issues with non ascii characters in group names
@ 2013-05-17 12:16       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-05-17 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, May 17 2013, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Anyway I'd like to know what happens after re-creating those groups.

Hi Katsumi,

I've tried to reproduce the issue by creating new groups the same way,
as I always do. But I can't.

Unfortunately, I've just updated from 真 Gnus v0.6 to 0.8. So I don't
know, if this issue has gone with the update, or if I have to wait some
time, before that strange behaviour happens again...

I've also removed all the duplicated lines in the active file, for each
group I kept the line with the highest number. Now I can see all
messages in the summary buffers for these groups.

Probably, the issue is really solved.

Thanks,
--
           Peter

* several issues with non ascii characters in group names
@ 2013-05-16 19:17 Peter Münster