* gnus-summary-insert-articles and fetching headers
@ 2013-04-21 19:12 Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2013-04-21 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

In 'gnus-summary-insert-articles, headers for the articles to be
inserted are fetched:

(setq gnus-newsgroup-headers
  (gnus-merge 'list
      gnus-newsgroup-headers
            (gnus-fetch-headers articles)
               'gnus-article-sort-by-number))

But since the force-new argument to 'gnus-fetch-headers is nil these new
headers are discarded for any message-id that is already present in the
dependencies table (even if that header has not previously been
fetched). This seems wrong, and I'm tempted to set the force-new arg to
'gnus-fetch-headers to t.

Here is the problem I encountered with the current calling:

I enter a group that has a thread with some articles ticked and others
not. The ticked article headers are retrieved and, with my threaded
display, lines of pseudo-articles are created for the non-ticked
articles in the thread. The message-ids of these non-ticked articles are
entered into the dependencies table as part of the threading.

Now if I do '/ o' to include all articles, the headers for these
non-ticked articles are retrieved. But since they are already in the
dependencies table these headers are just discarded. If I subsequently
try to read one of the non-ticked lines the header is retrieved again.

Any reason not to make the change?

Regards,
Andy

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-04-21 19:12 UTC | newest]