* Show read emails?
@ 2011-12-16 12:44 Petro
From: Petro @ 2011-12-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all.
I check my mail using gnus nimap, and subscribed to INBOX folder of my
gmail account.
My problem is that once I read email, I can not see it in the group to
read it again. How can I tell gnus to show mails  marked as read.
Thanks
______
Petro

* Re: Show read emails?
@ 2011-12-16 16:59 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-12-16 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> My problem is that once I read email, I can not see it in the group to
> read it again. How can I tell gnus to show mails  marked as read.

Three ways:
 - You can mark articles as "unread" in the Summary buffer by pressing
   `u'.  Then they won't show up in the read count, but they will be
   there when you enter the group
 - Your can do `C-u' followed by a number before pressing SPC or RET to
   enter a group.  Eg. `C-u 100 RET' will enter the group showing the
   last 100 articles in the group
 - If your IMAP server supports searching, you can position the cursor
   over the group and press `G G' and then give a search term.  The
   matches will be shown in an ephemeral group.  If you want to do
   something other than read a message, eg. respond to the message, or
   mark it as "unread", or move it to another folder, you should press
   `A T' to select that message in the actual summary buffer

* Re: Show read emails?
@ 2011-12-16 19:58   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-12-16 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

SB> Three ways:

4:  You can add a group parameter (G p) to either a group or a topic
such as this one:

  (display .
	  [and
	   (not killed)
	   (not expire)])

Which will show everything not killed and not expired, for example.

--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/

* Re: Show read emails?
@ 2011-12-17 10:46   ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2011-12-17 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> My problem is that once I read email, I can not see it in the group to
>> read it again. How can I tell gnus to show mails  marked as read.
>
> Three ways:
>  - You can mark articles as "unread" in the Summary buffer by pressing
>    `u'.  Then they won't show up in the read count, but they will be
>    there when you enter the group
>  - Your can do `C-u' followed by a number before pressing SPC or RET to
>    enter a group.  Eg. `C-u 100 RET' will enter the group showing the
>    last 100 articles in the group

It's strange that one cannot do it from the summary buffer.

Vitalie.

@ 2011-12-17 11:03     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-12-17 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 11:46:11 +0100, Vitalie wrote:

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Three ways:

[...]

> It's strange that one cannot do it from the summary buffer.

Is / o which is bound to gnus-summary-insert-old-articles what you are
looking for?

(I don't think Steinar Bang meant that those are the _only_ three ways,
 but rather that those are three examples of ways :-))

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Mere snak, mindre musik                                     Adam Sjøgren
  Det her går den gale vej"                              asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Show read emails?
@ 2011-12-17 21:25       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-12-17 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> (I don't think Steinar Bang meant that those are the _only_ three ways,
>  but rather that those are three examples of ways :-))

Yes, or rather: those are the three ways I know of.

`/ o' was a new one for me.  Cool!  It works!

* Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-18 23:08 ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2011-12-18 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have a related question.  I use Gnus to download mail from IMAP / POP
accounts to read them locally.  Newly downloaded, unread mails are
marked with a dot in front of them.  But if I quit Gnus, enter again and
download more email, the mails which were previously downloaded but
which I didn't read yet do not have any mark.

Any idea on how can I make Gnus show a mark for unread mails, no matter
how long ago they were downloaded?

Thanks in advance!
|  Manuel Carro --- Facultad de Informática -- U. Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)  |
|       Campus de Montegancedo --- E-28660 Boadilla del Monte --- Spain        |
|          Phone: +34-91-336-3742 ext 4140 --- FAX: +34-91-336-5018            |

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-19  0:15   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2011-12-19  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

> I have a related question.  I use Gnus to download mail from IMAP / POP
> accounts to read them locally.  Newly downloaded, unread mails are
> marked with a dot in front of them.  But if I quit Gnus, enter again and
> download more email, the mails which were previously downloaded but
> which I didn't read yet do not have any mark.

> Any idea on how can I make Gnus show a mark for unread mails, no matter
> how long ago they were downloaded?

The absence of a mark (other than the unseen "." mark) *is* the mark for
an unread message.  Once you read the message, it will be marked with an
R.

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-19  1:25     ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2011-12-19  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Allbery; +Cc: ding

> The absence of a mark (other than the unseen "." mark) *is* the mark
> for an unread message.  Once you read the message, it will be marked
> with an R.

Right.  But then if I exit the group and enter it again, the article is
marked with 'O' (ancient) and it is not visible until I do, e.g., '/o'
as suggested before in this group.

I used to set gnus-mark-article-hook to nil to avoid previously read
articles to be marked with 'R'.  But then I ran into the problem I
described before: no distinction between unread and unseen after I exit
and enter the group.

Is there any way to control which marks are seen by default?  Ticked
articles are seen, and if I could also state that ancient (and maybe
other) articles can be seen, that would do it for me.  BTW, I tried what
Wes Hardaker wrote in another thread: add to the topic the parameter

  (display .
	  [and
	   (not killed)
	   (not expire)])

(changing some things a bit because that one was giving me a syntax
error) but it didn't work.

Cheers,

@ 2011-12-19  1:57     ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2011-12-19  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:
>
>> I have a related question.  I use Gnus to download mail from IMAP / POP
>> accounts to read them locally.  Newly downloaded, unread mails are
>> marked with a dot in front of them.  But if I quit Gnus, enter again and
>> download more email, the mails which were previously downloaded but
>> which I didn't read yet do not have any mark.
>
>> Any idea on how can I make Gnus show a mark for unread mails, no matter
>> how long ago they were downloaded?
>
> The absence of a mark (other than the unseen "." mark) *is* the mark for
> an unread message.

No.  It's for "unseen" articles --- that you haven't even read
the title.

> Once you read the message, it will be marked with an R.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-19 14:20       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-12-19 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 02:25:15 +0100, Manuel wrote:

>> The absence of a mark (other than the unseen "." mark) *is* the mark
>> for an unread message.  Once you read the message, it will be marked
>> with an R.

> Right.  But then if I exit the group and enter it again, the article is
> marked with 'O' (ancient) and it is not visible until I do, e.g., '/o'
> as suggested before in this group.

Only if you have read the email, right?

If you want to "unread" an email, the command is M-u
(gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward).

  Best regards,

     Adam

--
 "Omvejviser"                                                 Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20  8:09         ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2011-12-20  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> > Right.  But then if I exit the group and enter it again, the article is
> > marked with 'O' (ancient) and it is not visible until I do, e.g., '/o'
> > as suggested before in this group.
>
> Only if you have read the email, right?
>
> If you want to "unread" an email, the command is M-u
> (gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward).

But then there there is no visible difference between messages I have
not read and messages I have read and "unread".

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 11:23           ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-12-20 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Carro; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

>> > Right.  But then if I exit the group and enter it again, the article is
>> > marked with 'O' (ancient) and it is not visible until I do, e.g., '/o'
>> > as suggested before in this group.
>>
>> Only if you have read the email, right?
>>
>> If you want to "unread" an email, the command is M-u
>> (gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward).
>
> But then there there is no visible difference between messages I have
> not read and messages I have read and "unread".

Then `tick' the articles, as Steinar suggested in his first mail:
`gnus-summary-tick-article-forward' is bound to `u' in summary and
article buffer. That'll mark the article with a `!' and it'll show up when
you enter the group. It's useful to "bookmark" read articles that still
require some action on your part.

If you just want all or a certain number, look at `display' in the the
info node (info "(gnus) Group Parameters"): You can show everything in a
group or specify predicates, as Wes suggested, or an integer.

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 18:33             ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2011-12-20 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Haselwarter; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

> Then `tick' the articles, as Steinar suggested in his first mail:
> `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward' is bound to `u' in summary and
> article buffer. That'll mark the article with a `!' and it'll show up when
> you enter the group. It's useful to "bookmark" read articles that still
> require some action on your part.

This I do (manually) for messages that I have read and I know I will
have to work on or refer to later on before sending them to their final
group.  Sorry I did not mention this before.  In short, I'd be glad if I
could distinguish between the following three categories:

- Not-yet-read messages.
- Read messages.
- Read messages which I manually tick as a reminder that they are special.

Cheers,

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 18:56               ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-12-20 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:33:23 +0100, Manuel wrote:

> - Not-yet-read messages.

These are the ones with the unseen mark "." (the first time the message
is listed for you in a Summary) or no mark " " (the next times the
message is listef for you in a Summary, until you actually read the
message).

> - Read messages.

These are the ones with R (when you read it) or O (when you return to a
Summary with it in).

> - Read messages which I manually tick as a reminder that they are special.

These are the ones with "!".

I'm probably overlooking something because I'm used to Gnus. What are
you missing?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Kan De ikke tegne folk så de ligner?"                       Adam Sjøgren
 "Jo, men det nænner jeg ikke!"                          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 19:16                 ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2011-12-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> > - Read messages.
>
> These are the ones with R (when you read it) or O (when you return to a
> Summary with it in).

Yes, but when I return to the Summary they don't appear unless I use
'/o', and then all the expunged (but not yet removed) messages appear as
well.  This is what I do currently, but I'd prefer not to have to do it:
it would be great if read messages (and only those) appear by default
when returning to the summary.

[On a side note, if it could be less intrusive than a capital O, that'll
 be aesthetically better for me.  Actually I'd prefer to have read
 messages not to be marked and unread messages to be marked, but I
 suppose I can just change the value of gnus-read-mark and
 gnus-unread-mark in gnus-sum.el]

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 20:14                   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-12-20 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:16:40 +0100, Manuel wrote:

>>> - Read messages.

>> These are the ones with R (when you read it) or O (when you return to a
>> Summary with it in).

> Yes, but when I return to the Summary they don't appear

Ah, so _that_ is what you are after.

I quite like the "news-like" behaviour - the emails I have read and have
processed (no more to do) do not appear by default.

I think in recent times the catch phrase "Inbox Zero" has been put forth
for basically the same thing.

I've never cared for showing read messages per default, but I seem to
remember someone showing how to do that recently?

Yes, Wes Hardaker mentioned setting the display group parameter:

 "You can add a group parameter (G p) to either a group or a topic
  such as this one:

    (display .
            [and
             (not killed)
             (not expire)])

  Which will show everything not killed and not expired, for example."

   * http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/80677

In this very thread, actually.

Couldn't you use that to have the messages you want to appear, appear?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I am still twitching at the idea that you need to           Adam Sjøgren
  load code into the kernel in order to re-map a         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 20:18                   ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-12-20 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Carro; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, ding

Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

>> > - Read messages.
>>
>> These are the ones with R (when you read it) or O (when you return to a
>> Summary with it in).
>
> Yes, but when I return to the Summary they don't appear unless I use
> '/o', and then all the expunged (but not yet removed) messages appear as
> well.  This is what I do currently, but I'd prefer not to have to do it:
> it would be great if read messages (and only those) appear by default
> when returning to the summary.

On the risk of repeating myself:

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

---8<---[snipped 18 lines]---8<---

> If you just want all or a certain number, look at `display' in the the
> info node (info "(gnus) Group Parameters"): You can show everything in a
> group or specify predicates, as Wes suggested, or an integer.

cf. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/80677

Please clarify if I misunderstood your question.

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 20:24                     ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2011-12-20 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> Yes, Wes Hardaker mentioned setting the display group parameter:
>
>  "You can add a group parameter (G p) to either a group or a topic
>   such as this one:
>
>     (display .
>             [and
>              (not killed)
>              (not expire)])
>
>   Which will show everything not killed and not expired, for example."
>
>    * http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/80677
>
> In this very thread, actually.
>
> Couldn't you use that to have the messages you want to appear, appear?

I tried it.  If I edit (with "Gp") one of my groups and  add that as
parameter, after "C-cC-c" I get the following error messages:

gnus-group-get-parameter: Wrong type argument: listp, [and (not killed) (not expire)]
gnus-group-topic-parameters: Wrong type argument: listp, [and (not killed) (not expire)]

So I suppose that it's a list what is expected.  Therefore I changed it to

>     (display .
>             (and
>              (not killed)
>              (not expire)))

but then I enter the group and nothing happens (i.e., read messages are
still hidden).  If I go to the parameters (again "Gp") something
different appears: what I see  is

(display and
	 (not killed)
	 (not expire))

which obviously does not have the same meaning.  So, yes, I tried to
follow that path, but unsuccessfuly so far.  Any idea of why the
expression Wes Hardaker posted gives me an error message?

Best!

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 20:31               ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-12-20 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Carro; +Cc: ding

Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

>> Then `tick' the articles, as Steinar suggested in his first mail:
>> `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward' is bound to `u' in summary and
>> article buffer. That'll mark the article with a `!' and it'll show up when
>> you enter the group. It's useful to "bookmark" read articles that still
>> require some action on your part.
>
> This I do (manually) for messages that I have read and I know I will
> have to work on or refer to later on before sending them to their final
> group.  Sorry I did not mention this before.  In short, I'd be glad if I
> could distinguish between the following three categories:
>
> - Not-yet-read messages.
> - Read messages.
> - Read messages which I manually tick as a reminder that they are special.
>
> Cheers,

Three ticked, two read, one old and one unread message, easy to
distinguish:

[-- Attachment #2: gnus_summary.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 39639 bytes --]

Maybe the current value of `gnus-summary-line-format' is just giving you
a bad overview?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Show mark in unread emails
@ 2011-12-20 20:33                       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-12-20 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:24:08 +0100, Manuel wrote:

>> Yes, Wes Hardaker mentioned setting the display group parameter:

[...]

>> Couldn't you use that to have the messages you want to appear, appear?

> I tried it.

I didn't see you reporting that it didn't work, before?

[...]

> So, yes, I tried to follow that path, but unsuccessfuly so far.

If you had said from the beginning that that was what you wanted to
achieve, but couldn't make work, it would have saved us all a lot of
time :-)

> Any idea of why the expression Wes Hardaker posted gives me an error
> message?

Nope, when I use exactly what he wrote - i.e. I use G p on a group:

  ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnml:normal'.
  ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

  ((display .
            [and
             (not killed)
             (not expire)]))

fills in the group parameters and C-c C-c it works for me (although I
never expire articles, so...)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2011-12-21 15:35                         ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2011-12-21 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> > I tried it.
>
> I didn't see you reporting that it didn't work, before?

You are right, I didn't.  I was not sure group parameters were the way
to go (I had never used them before) and so I thought I could try
something different, started playing with the different marking options,
and eventually send the initial message.

> > So, yes, I tried to follow that path, but unsuccessfuly so far.
>
> If you had said from the beginning that that was what you wanted to
> achieve, but couldn't make work, it would have saved us all a lot of
> time :-)

Well, I tried to explain what I was after, but as I said I didn't see
solving the group parameters issue as the key.  Now I see (thanks
everyone) that it can be a way to achieve what I am after.  So I
apologize for the waste of everyone's time, perhaps especially to
Philipp Haselwarter who had pointed me to the right info page but which
I overlooked.

> Nope, when I use exactly what he wrote - i.e. I use G p on a group:
> [...]

Yes, writing it like that does not make Gnus complain after C-cC-c.
However I am afraid I am finding a difficulty: I do mark some messages
as expirable (so that the messages are marked with `E'), and I cannot
find a group parameter expression which shows unseen messages, read
messages, and ancient messages but not messages marked as expirable.  It
seems to me that the 'expire' operator of the group parameters selects
messages which are not expirable because they are younger than the
time-to-expire parameter for the group.  Do anyone of you have any idea
of how I can make marked-to-expire messages not to show up in the
summary?

Cheers and thanks again!