Andreas Schwab writes: >> >> Because almost all of my work recepients use Windows and expect only >> CP1251. > > How is that an argument against specifying the correct charset > explicitly? > I can't know charset of everything. If somebody ask me to send him some cryptic text file (for example, generated by an old local program with it's own unique charset), I don't want to guess what codepage it has. Asked. Sent. Finished. Today I had to pack it into a ZIP archive to ensure integrity. At least it could be better to specify it by some variable (setq gnus-default-attachment-charset ...) separately. >> So 98 % cases my recepients know what they are going to view. > > What about the remaining 2%? > Well, in a such cases I usually write about codepage in a message text. I would be happy to use something like Codepage: adobe-standard-encoding-dos (or "don't specify" if needed) to explicitly ask Gnus for that. But in 98 % it's just a problem. And yes, I usually use Linux and prefer UTF8 for my own Org-Mode notes and other. >> Introducing some Gnus ability for other 2 % just create unnecesary >> problems. > > Which problems? > Look news://news.gnus.org/gnus.gnus-bug thread 'bug#8070: gnus damages attached file' I enclose two reports about that (from aforementioned thread):