* massive cpu time for scoring large imap folders?
@ 2009-10-08  0:18 Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2009-10-08  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I am running

  emacs22
  cvs gnus head
  dovecot 1.1.19 (via ssl on same machine)
  NetBSD/i386 5.0ish
  2.8GHz intel cpu, 2G RAM, etc. - not a super slow machine

All my mail is in IMAP on the local machine, accessed over imap/ssl from
gnus and other places.  Generally all is well.  But, I have group (svn
commit messages and trac updates from a project I've ignored for a
month) and it has 1000 unread messages.

I can enter the group with '200<space>' and see the recent messages, and
some of them even might get expired (auto-expire t).  But trying to
enter the whole group uses gobs of CPU time.  I just started
'gnus-batch-score' and so far it has used 9 minutes of cpu time.  I'll
let it run overnight.

Is there some n^3 algorithm lurking?  I'd expect scoring to be
per-message linear.