* Newbie questions: mail in plain text and toggling plugged status
@ 2009-02-10 10:40 Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-02-10 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi, I'm new to Gnus and just finding my way round. I have a few questions:

How do I show all mail as plain text, including html messages?

If I leave Gnus alone for a while and check for my IMAP folders for new
messages in *Groups* with 'g' then Gnus seems to hang. C-g stops this
but then trying to enter a group gives a message like "Can't open
server". The only way round is to quit emacs and restart Gnus. I tried
'J j' to toggle plugged status but this doesn't help.

Many thanks!

Jim Burton

* Re: Newbie questions: mail in plain text and toggling plugged status
@ 2009-02-11 20:15 ` Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-02-11 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> If I leave Gnus alone for a while and check for my IMAP folders for new
> messages in *Groups* with 'g' then Gnus seems to hang. C-g stops this
> but then trying to enter a group gives a message like "Can't open
> server". The only way round is to quit emacs and restart Gnus. I tried
> 'J j' to toggle plugged status but this doesn't help.

It seems to be the imap server I connect to with ssl that hangs when I
try to update. Also, it's not true to say Gnus hangs, but the process
of updating does. Quitting it means I can't open any of the groups,
and when I try to quit Gnus it gets stuck on writing ~/.newsrc.eld and
I have to cancel that too. I have this setup:

(setq imap-ssl-program "openssl s_client -tls1 -connect %s:%p")

[snip]

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "brighton.ac.uk"
					      (nnimap-address "staffmail.brighton.ac.uk")
					      (nnimap-server-port 993)
					      (nnimap-stream ssl))
				      (nntp "freenews.netfront.net")))
Jim