From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
To: James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>
Cc: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>,  ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: variable-pitch font in article buffer
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 23:13:09 +0900	[thread overview]

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:
> I'd live to see a variable pitch mode for the Summary and Group buffers,
> too, using something other than spaces to place the columnar data.  I
> don't know whether Emacs has the necessary support for that yet, though.

"Stretch-glyphs" can be used to align text a bit more flexibly; they're
basically like tabs that aren't restricted to tab-stops.

However obviously such a thing is likely to be rather unportable to
people's custom summary format strings.

Perhaps the thing to do is (1) add magic chars to the summary format
string spec that lets one specify which parts will use a variable-pitch
face, and (2) try to use stretch-glyphs instead of spaces for aligning
the end of padded parts.

-Miles

--
Genealogy, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not
particularly care to trace his own.