* changing archiving method/group
@ 2005-02-10 18:11 Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-02-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sending messages has suddenly become slow (~10 s - 1 min), and reading the FAQ
suggests ditching nnfolder for storing sent messages. I tried to do that,
while keeping my splitting structure. This is my previous setup:

,-----[ .gnus.el (lines: 36 - 50) ]
| (setq message-directory "~/News/mail"
|       ;; how and where to store sent messages
|       gnus-message-archive-method
|       '(nnfolder "archive"
| 	     (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
| 	     (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
| 	     (nnfolder-active-file "~/News/sent/active")
| 	     (nnfolder-directory "~/News/sent/"))
|       ;; sort sent mail and news into different groups
|       gnus-message-archive-group
|       '((if (message-news-p)
| 	    "sent-news"
| 	  (concat "sent-" (format-time-string "%m-%Y"))))
|       message-auto-save-directory "~/News/drafts")
`-----

So I tried replacing 'nnfolder' with 'nnml' above, but that was obviously
wrong, as I got an error (wrong type argument) when composing any message. I'm
confused about the relationships between gnus-message-archive-method and
gnus-message-archive-group, so don't really know what to do here (not even
sure whether this is the right solution to my problem). Any help is
appreciated.

--
Sebastian Luque

* Re: changing archiving method/group
@ 2005-02-10 22:14 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-02-10 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 fév 2005, Sebastian Luque wrote:

> Sending messages has suddenly become slow (~10 s - 1 min), and

 [ ... ]

> So I tried replacing 'nnfolder' with 'nnml' above, but that was
> obviously wrong, as I got an error (wrong type argument) when

There are certainly no nnml pendant for all the nnfolder
variables above :)

Any backtrace ?

--
Hacker Wonderland      Xavier Maillard| "Stand Back! I'm a programmer!"
.0.                 zedek@gnu-rox.orgz|

* Re: changing archiving method/group
@ 2005-02-10 23:09   ` Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-02-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Xavier,

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

[...]

> There are certainly no nnml pendant for all the nnfolder
> variables above :)

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "pendant". Do you mean those
variables don't exist for nnml? I checked (info "(gnus)Mail Spool"), and the
only one that isn't there is nnml-inhibit-expiry, but that might have been
inconsequential(?).

> Any backtrace ?

I'm affraid not, as I immediately put everything back to my previous state,
not knowing what I was doing. If I could understand the relationships between
message-directory, gnus-message-archive-method, gnus-message-archive-group, I
might feel better about trying that again. For the moment, I'll have to put up
with slow message sending.

Thanks for your help so far,
--

@ 2005-02-12 16:08     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-02-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 fév 2005, Sebastian Luque wrote:

> Hi Xavier,
>
> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > There are certainly no nnml pendant for all the nnfolder
> > variables above :)
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "pendant". Do

I meant that there were certainly nnfolder variables not
available for nnml. I was partly wrong ;)