* Saving buffers when splitting
@ 2003-09-19 13:44 Juha Autero
From: Juha Autero @ 2003-09-19 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to use fancy-spliting to scan files for viruses with Linux
command line Anti-Virus. I have used spamassasin code as an example,
but my problem is that I wouldn't want to use call-process-region
since that would require external script to write message to file
since command line scanner doesn't scan stdin.

So, what is the best way to write mail to file when splitting mail? I
have tried gnus-write-file, but it didn't work. Usually, when I have
problems I just give up since email viruses aren't a problem in
Linux. Recently, I got over 100 Swen viruses and would like to filter
them.

--
Juha Autero
http://www.iki.fi/jautero/

* Re: Saving buffers when splitting
@ 2003-09-19 17:24 ` Juha Autero
From: Juha Autero @ 2003-09-19 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juha Autero <Juha.Autero@iki.fi> writes:

> So, what is the best way to write mail to file when splitting mail? I
> have tried gnus-write-file, but it didn't work.

My mistake. There is no such function as gnus-write-file. Correct
function is gnus-write-buffer.
--

@ 2003-09-19 20:03 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-09-19 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Juha.Autero@iki.fi wrote:

> I'm trying to use fancy-spliting to scan files for viruses with
> Linux command line Anti-Virus. I have used spamassasin code as an
> example, but my problem is that I wouldn't want to use
> call-process-region since that would require external script to
> write message to file since command line scanner doesn't scan stdin.
>
> So, what is the best way to write mail to file when splitting mail?
> I have tried gnus-write-file, but it didn't work. Usually, when I
> have problems I just give up since email viruses aren't a problem in
> Linux. Recently, I got over 100 Swen viruses and would like to
> filter them.

Does this help?

make-temp-file is a compiled Lisp function in `subr'.
(make-temp-file PREFIX &optional DIR-FLAG SUFFIX)

Create a temporary file.
The returned file name (created by appending some random characters at the end
of PREFIX, and expanding against `temporary-file-directory' if necessary),
is guaranteed to point to a newly created empty file.
You can then use `write-region' to write new data into the file.

Ted

* Re: Saving buffers when splitting
@ 2003-09-19 23:00   ` Juha Autero
From: Juha Autero @ 2003-09-19 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Does this help?
>
> make-temp-file is a compiled Lisp function in `subr'.
> (make-temp-file PREFIX &optional DIR-FLAG SUFFIX)

No. ;) Like I said, correct function was `gnus-write-buffer'. I used
mm-make-temp-file to create temporary file name. If someone wants to see
the code, it is at <URL: http://www.iki.fi/jautero/fsav.el >. It's not
very functional, but works for me.

--
Juha Autero