On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote: > Daniel Pittman writes: > >> Presumably you could write your own message mode hook that would >> invoke the external editor and stuff. But ... why? > > They say, they're so accustomed to vim keybindings, they don't want to > switch. And actually, I can understand this. I'm equally addicted to > Emacs keybindings, after all! > > Now, if they were addicted to vi keybindings, we could just tell them > to use viper. But with vim keybindings? Mostly the same, I believe. Anyway, in /theory/ you could do something like the attached Lisp, but it's pretty horrible. Oh, and untested, though I am almost tempted just to see how insane a thing I could put together. :) The code, as written, probably falls over in the following cases: 1. User kills the message buffer before the editor terminates. 2. Editor terminates uncleanly on startup. 3. Editor is canceled with no changes. 4. Multiple message buffers all at once. You could probably solve most of the issues, including the lack of closures, by making the code use buffer local values in the *message* buffer to store state. Heh. You know, I /must/ really want to avoid this mailing list setup I have to do. I would never have written something this silly otherwise. ;) Daniel