* gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-02  6:45 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-05-02  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I am forced to use gmail at my university (the features google offer are
a bit different to the personal accounts)
and also for some private stuff.

Now google keeps sending me message that from 30th of May 3rd party
packages cannot connect anymore to imap+smtp via the traditional way.

There have been some discussion, either on emacs-devel or here, how to
make emacs (gnus) work with gmail under those circumstances, that is
using oauth2.

Has anybody got that to work?

If so, can he/she share its setting?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military.  I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-02 11:33 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-02 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  2 May 2022 at 08:45, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> There have been some discussion, either on emacs-devel or here, how to
> make emacs (gnus) work with gmail under those circumstances, that is
> using oauth2.

Uwe,

I had the same problem with our institution which uses Exchange and
moved to multi-factor authentication, i.e. oauth2.  I solved this
problem by using davmail [1].  I don't know if this will work for gmail
as well but you may wish to try.

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.3 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.3

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-03  0:57 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2022-05-03  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hellow Uwe,

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> (... thanks ...)
> Has anybody got that to work?

Inbound  -> getmail[^^^]
Outbound -> msmtp

But not tested yet.

For long time, about 13 years, i'm Gmail user. Still i'm Gmail user
(soyeomul@gmail.com) which is my final inbox provider.

Personally i am considering Gmail with Gnome Eveolution. And i'll keep
Gnus with NNTP Gmane.

Someday i have to test both Gnome Evolution and getmail with happy!

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

[^^^] https://pyropus.ca./software/getmail/

--
^고맙습니다 _布德天下_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-03  5:57   ` Uwe Brauer
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-05-03  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Monday,  2 May 2022 at 08:45, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> There have been some discussion, either on emacs-devel or here, how to
>> make emacs (gnus) work with gmail under those circumstances, that is
>> using oauth2.

> Uwe,

> I had the same problem with our institution which uses Exchange and
> moved to multi-factor authentication, i.e. oauth2.  I solved this
> problem by using davmail [1].  I don't know if this will work for gmail
> as well but you may wish to try.

Thanks, when we started with gmail, I tried out dovecot, and there was a
problem, that it started to download every message over and over when I
tried to download new email, besides it fill up my hard disk with
additional 13 GB and that I would like to avoid. But maybe this will be
the only way.

Uwe

> eric

> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-03  6:27     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-05-03  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> [[S/MIME Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
>> On Monday,  2 May 2022 at 08:45, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> There have been some discussion, either on emacs-devel or here, how to
>>> make emacs (gnus) work with gmail under those circumstances, that is
>>> using oauth2.
>
>> Uwe,
>
>> I had the same problem with our institution which uses Exchange and
>> moved to multi-factor authentication, i.e. oauth2.  I solved this
>> problem by using davmail [1].  I don't know if this will work for gmail
>> as well but you may wish to try.
>
> Thanks, when we started with gmail, I tried out dovecot, and there was
> a problem, that it started to download every message over and over
> when I tried to download new email,

I'm using isync (mbsync) to have a bidi-synchronization between several
imap mail accounts (fastmail, gmail, work) and local maildir stores.
That's the gmail specific part of my ~/.mbsyncrc:

IMAPAccount gmail
Host imap.gmail.com
User USER@gmail.com
# I have my credentials in ~/.authinfo.gpg in the form:
#   machine imap.gmail.com login USER@gmail.com password APP_PWD force yes
# where APP_PWD is an application specific password one can generate
# somewhere in the Gmail/Google account settings.
PassCmd +"gpg --decrypt --no-tty --for-your-eyes-only ~/.authinfo.gpg 2> /dev/null | grep imap.gmail.com | sed 's/.*password \\([^ ]\\+\\).*/\\1/'"
SSLType IMAPS

IMAPStore gmail-remote
Account gmail

MaildirStore gmail-local
Path ~/.mail/Gmail/
Inbox ~/.mail/Gmail/INBOX
SubFolders Verbatim

Channel Gmail
Far :gmail-remote:
Near :gmail-local:
Create Near
Remove Near
Expunge Both
CopyArrivalDate yes
Patterns *
Sync All
SyncState *

I'm not sure if this application specific password thingy I'm using will
work in the future, though.  But luckily I've moved away from Gmail in
the past years.

> besides it fill up my hard disk with additional 13 GB and that I would
> like to avoid. But maybe this will be the only way.

Both dovecot and isync usually do full synchronizations so you have
everything locally.  I consider that a good thing because then you can
index it for quick local searches.  But you can configure mbsync to sync
only specific folders.  For example, I think many people exclude Gmail's
"All Mails" folder.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-03  6:33     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2022-05-03  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> it started to download every message over and over when I
> tried to download new email, besides it fill up my hard disk with
> additional 13 GB and that I would like to avoid.

It can be download by each label (IMAP). That is getmail's feature. So
getmail is very useful if hard disk size small.

@ 2022-05-03  7:52     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-03  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday,  3 May 2022 at 07:57, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Thanks, when we started with gmail, I tried out dovecot, and there was a
> problem, that it started to download every message over and over when I
> tried to download new email, besides it fill up my hard disk with
> additional 13 GB and that I would like to avoid. But maybe this will be
> the only way.

davmail is not at all like dovecot; it is a gateway to the actual server
you wish to use instead of acting as a server itself.  You specify
davmail as your server (in gnus, say) but all the requests go through it
to the actual server.

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.3 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.3

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-03 17:37   ` Bob Newell
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-05-03 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> On Monday,  2 May 2022 at 08:45, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> There have been some discussion, either on emacs-devel or here, how to
>> make emacs (gnus) work with gmail under those circumstances, that is
>> using oauth2.
>
> Uwe,
>
> I had the same problem with our institution which uses Exchange and
> moved to multi-factor authentication, i.e. oauth2.  I solved this
> problem by using davmail [1].  I don't know if this will work for gmail
> as well but you may wish to try.

I don't see how to make davmail work with gmail, as it's
intended for Exchange. But I have not investigated deeply.

The option I intend to try when the time comes (I have a
Workspace account and the deadline hasn't been announced yet)
is app passwords. These are available if you're willing to put
up with the initial hassle of two-factor authentication.
Fortunately you can mark a device as trusted and only have to
deal with the two-factor authentication one time per device.

I have read accounts of how to make oauth2 work natively with
gnus, but I haven't tried it and it seemed "complex and
wonderful" so I'm going to try app passwords first.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-04  8:53     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-04  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: ding

On Tuesday,  3 May 2022 at 07:37, Bob Newell wrote:
> I don't see how to make davmail work with gmail, as it's
> intended for Exchange. But I have not investigated deeply.

I think you are correct.  Apologies for the noise.

--
Professor Eric S Fraga, UCL; GnuPG: 0xc89193d8fffcf67d

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-04 14:02     ` George Clemmer
From: George Clemmer @ 2022-05-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:
[..]

> The option I intend to try when the time comes (I have a
> Workspace account and the deadline hasn't been announced yet)
> is app passwords. These are available if you're willing to put
> up with the initial hassle of two-factor authentication.
> Fortunately you can mark a device as trusted and only have to
> deal with the two-factor authentication one time per device.

I switched to two-factor + app passwords which works well.  However, I
have read rumors that app passwords will be phased out too.  Does anyone
know if/when this might happen? TIA George

PS Sorry for going further off topic, but you started it ;-)

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-04 15:34       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-05-04 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "GC" == George Clemmer <myglc2@gmail.com> writes:

> Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:
> [..]
>>
>> The option I intend to try when the time comes (I have a
>> Workspace account and the deadline hasn't been announced yet)
>> is app passwords. These are available if you're willing to put
>> up with the initial hassle of two-factor authentication.
>> Fortunately you can mark a device as trusted and only have to
>> deal with the two-factor authentication one time per device.
>>
> I switched to two-factor + app passwords which works well.  However, I
> have read rumors that app passwords will be phased out too.  Does anyone
> know if/when this might happen? TIA George

With gnus? Could you share  your configuration with me.
Also I still don't understand what an gmail app password is. 😕

@ 2022-05-11 16:24   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2022-05-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello Uwe,

I find myself in a similar bind to yours. My employer recently switched
to 2FA and Gmail will phase out app passwords sometime soon.

In the interim, I use davmail to manage 2FA with my employer's microsoft
exchange server. It is brutally slow, so I am searching for
alternatives.

According to
https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/whats-new-in-emacs-28-1
oauth2.el support has been integrated into smtpmail and gnus.

I am running debian testing's stock emacs[1], and I haven't tried
version 28.1.

Perhaps someone else has tried using the oauth2 library? Any tips would
be appreciated.

Leo

[1] (insert (format "\n%s" (emacs-version)))
GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-11-27, modified by Debian

@ 2022-05-13  8:50     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-13  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 11:24, Leo Butler wrote:
> In the interim, I use davmail to manage 2FA with my employer's microsoft
> exchange server. It is brutally slow, so I am searching for
> alternatives.

Interesting.  I have not noticed davmail being appreciably slower than
without it.  How are you accessing the exchange server?  I use pop.
Maybe imap is slower.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-05-10) on Debian 11.3

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-17 16:29     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-05-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "LB" == Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
Hello Leo

> Hello Uwe,
> I find myself in a similar bind to yours. My employer recently switched
> to 2FA and Gmail will phase out app passwords sometime soon.

Ooops do you know for sure that app passwords will be disabled, soon.

> In the interim, I use davmail to manage 2FA with my employer's microsoft
> exchange server. It is brutally slow, so I am searching for
> alternatives.

> According to
> https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/whats-new-in-emacs-28-1
> oauth2.el support has been integrated into smtpmail and gnus.

> I am running debian testing's stock emacs[1], and I haven't tried
> version 28.1.

> Perhaps someone else has tried using the oauth2 library? Any tips would
> be appreciated.

I have had an exchange with the author of oauth2, he says basically that
google again changed its mechanism and oauth2 needs to be adapted. He
also pointed out that if you applied for google dev account, then the
hassle is minor, but if you start a new one, things might get
complicated.

I am at the end of the academic year so I would like to start to
give  oauth2 a try in July

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-10-24  8:20     ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2022-10-24  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Greetings.

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

>>> There have been some discussion, either on emacs-devel or here, how
>>> to make emacs (gnus) work with gmail under those circumstances, that
>>> is using oauth2.

> I have read accounts of how to make oauth2 work natively with gnus,
> but I haven't tried it and it seemed "complex and wonderful" so I'm
> going to try app passwords first.

Is there any description anywhere on how this should be set up?

I wast told that Microsoft is going oauth full scale when my imap
stopped working.

All the best,

Jarmo

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-10-24 17:13       ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-10-24 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> Greetings.

>> I have read accounts of how to make oauth2 work natively with gnus,
>> but I haven't tried it and it seemed "complex and wonderful" so I'm
>> going to try app passwords first.
>
> Is there any description anywhere on how this should be set up?
>
> I wast told that Microsoft is going oauth full scale when my imap
> stopped working.

What I've been doing as an alternative is setting up
two-factor authentication and then generating an app
password. This has worked so far in all instances.

It's not an ideal solution because two-factor authentication
can be a pain when not using a client. But it's surely the
easist to implement.

Interesting however, that of my 3 M$ accounts, two require
this process but one still works with the plain old login
password. That one is a corporate account and may have to do
with the way the IT guy set it up.

--

@ 2022-10-25  7:36         ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2022-10-25  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Greetings Bob.

>>> I have read accounts of how to make oauth2 work natively with gnus,
>>> but I haven't tried it and it seemed "complex and wonderful"
>>
>> Is there any description anywhere on how this should be set up?
>
> What I've been doing as an alternative is setting up two-factor
> authentication and then generating an app password. This has worked so
> far in all instances.
>
> It's not an ideal solution because two-factor authentication can be a
> pain when not using a client. But it's surely the easist to implement.

I am using this opportunity to ask a very basic question that might save
me a lot of time: does this mean that you need to 2FA every time you
initiate an imap connection?

> Interesting however, that of my 3 M$ accounts, two require this
> process but one still works with the plain old login password. That
> one is a corporate account and may have to do with the way the IT guy
> set it up.

I was told that
1. MS will phase out imap pw connections starting Oct '22
2. this will happen at different times for different customers; for us
   it happened last week without warning

More info here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2022/09/01/microsoft-retires-basic-authentication-in-exchange-online/

What I do not know yet is what is MS's definition of "Modern
Authentication." In particular, does it include app pw and 2FA for imap.

All the best,

Jarmo

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-10-25  8:33           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-10-25  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, 25 Oct 2022 at 10:36, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
> I am using this opportunity to ask a very basic question that might save
> me a lot of time: does this mean that you need to 2FA every time you
> initiate an imap connection?

I use davmail to sit between gnus and Outlook Exchange.  It handles 2FA
for me.  On one of my computers, ever time I start up gnus, I have to
authenticate so basically once per day that I use that computer; on two
other computers, I haven't had to authenticate more than once every few
months (I haven't kept track so cannot be more precise).

Funnily enough, the one which requires authentication every time is
actually on-site.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-10-24) on Debian 11.4

* Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
@ 2022-10-25 18:26           ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-10-25 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> Greetings Bob.
>

> I am using this opportunity to ask a very basic question that might save
> me a lot of time: does this mean that you need to 2FA every time you
> initiate an imap connection?

No. Not exactly. For every mail service I've set up for 2FA
and app passwords thus far:

1. You MUST enable 2FA to be able to generate an app password.

2. When using IMAP/SMTP, the userid and app password alone is
sufficient.

3. When logging in to whatever webmail is provided, you must
do 2FA, but then there is generally an option to "remember
this device" or some such, allowing you to just use your
password after that. Some systems still make you do 2FA every so
often, for instance on the University of Hawai`i account that
I use, I think it's once a week or so.

> I was told that
> 1. MS will phase out imap pw connections starting Oct '22

And they have on two of my three accounts, but for each of
these the 2FA/app password method works.

> 2. this will happen at different times for different customers; for us
>    it happened last week without warning

Same here. One day SMTP just stopped working until I went
around the loop of 2FA and an app password.

I have to ask myself how 2FA provides much security when app
passwords exist, and the option to bypass 2FA exists.