* Posting Git patch series with Gnus
@ 2019-11-28 10:27 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2019-11-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Are there any ready-made Lisp macros to post a branch as a patch
series, allowing me to edit the cover letter before actual sending?

Gnus' MIME handling seems to be more reliable than that of git
send-email, and I'd like to use the Gnus setup and not the slightly
more problematic /usr/sbin/sendmail configuration for sending mail.
Another benefit is archival of outgoing email in Gnus.

Any suggestions?

* Re: Posting Git patch series with Gnus
@ 2019-11-28 12:53 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-28 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: ding

> Are there any ready-made Lisp macros to post a branch as a patch
> series, allowing me to edit the cover letter before actual sending?
>
> Gnus' MIME handling seems to be more reliable than that of git
> send-email, and I'd like to use the Gnus setup and not the slightly
> more problematic /usr/sbin/sendmail configuration for sending mail.
> Another benefit is archival of outgoing email in Gnus.
>
> Any suggestions?

I thought I remembered Gnus having support for sending a series of
messages, but I think I may have been remembering gnus-uu-post-encoded,
which does this for uuencoded binary files.

There doesn't seem to be any support for sending patch series that I can
see.

* Re: Posting Git patch series with Gnus
@ 2019-11-29  9:56 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-11-29  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: ding

    Florian> Are there any ready-made Lisp macros to post a branch as a patch
    Florian> series, allowing me to edit the cover letter before actual sending?

    Florian> Gnus' MIME handling seems to be more reliable than that of git
    Florian> send-email, and I'd like to use the Gnus setup and not the slightly
    Florian> more problematic /usr/sbin/sendmail configuration for sending mail.
    Florian> Another benefit is archival of outgoing email in Gnus.

    Florian> Any suggestions?

This doesnʼt help with the MIME portion [1], but you can create an nndraft
group called eg 'patches' with 'G m', then do

git format-patch --numbered-files -o ~/News/drafts/patches --cover-letter HEAD~4

Which would create files 0 1 2 3 4, with '0' containing the cover
letter. Unfortunately '0' is not a valid article number, so you'd have
to script shifting all the numbers up by one. You'd probably want a
'--add-header=Gcc:<something>' to get the gnus archiving to work.

Since itʼs an nndraft group, you can do 'e' on any individual message
to edit it, and then use 'D S' to send all messages (or mark
individual messages with '#' and do 'D s').

Robert

Footnotes:
[1]  What's wrong with git send-email's mime handling?