From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: isync plus dovecot?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:36:09 +0800	[thread overview]

Drew Raines <aaraines@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this! So your .mbsyncrc has something like this, right?
>
> [...]
>
> I use dovecot as a real IMAP server.  My mbsync config looks like
> this.  It's a little obfuscated by my hack that keeps my IMAP
> password out of it.
>
>  https://gist.github.com/drewr/c6e213f0b7ccd712e136
>
> mbsync syncs Gmail IMAP <-> dovecot IMAP and nnimap connects to
> dovecot for the different users.  I set up userdb authentication in
> dovecot to link to different directories in ~/Mail depending on who
> connects.
>
>  userdb {
>    driver = static
>    args = uid=1000 gid=1000 home=/home/aar/Mail/dovecot/%n
>  }

Okay, I think I'm finally wrapping my head around the different possible
ways of using dovecot locally. I'm still going to stick with the maildir
approach though: as you mention it means one less process on the
machine, and I guess I feel more comfortable with it. I'm also still not
quite clear on the distinction between Dovecot's userdb users, system
users, and multiple email accounts.

> The maildir approach, however, sounds nice.  Not having to maintain a
> dovecot instance and bear the cost of Gnus reconnecting to it
> periodically is attractive.

To anyone and everyone:

I'm still trying to solve the problem of offlineimap or mbsync
delivering to a separate maildir for each email account, but dovecot
only reading from one mail_location. The next thing I'm going to try is
the following in offlineimaprc:

[Repository local-acc1]
preauthtunnel = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/.mail:LAYOUT=fs:DIRNAME=acc1

[Repository local-acc2]
preauthtunnel = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/.mail:LAYOUT=fs:DIRNAME=acc2

[Repository local-acc3]
preauthtunnel = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/.mail:LAYOUT=fs:DIRNAME=acc3

And hope that the accounts don't clobber each other. I'll report back
if it works, but please stop me if you already know it won't!

Thanks,
Eric