* How to alter behavior of 'gnus-summary-next-article'
@ 2013-05-04  1:29 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2013-05-04  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

When opening a group and using gnus-summary-next-article ('N') to find
first unread gnus finds the message but then opens it too. I'd like to
just find the next new message but NOT open it.

Is there an existing command that does that? If not how might I piece
together something that would allow me to do that with a minimal
key press?

* Re: How to alter behavior of 'gnus-summary-next-article'
@ 2013-05-04  2:41 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-05-04  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> When opening a group and using gnus-summary-next-article ('N') to find
> first unread gnus finds the message but then opens it too. I'd like to
> just find the next new message but NOT open it.
>
> Is there an existing command that does that? If not how might I piece
> together something that would allow me to do that with a minimal
> key press?

I don't think that anything like that is bound by default, but calling
(gnus-summary-find-next t) in the summary buffer should do what you
want. Also see gnus-summary-find-prev. You could wrap that in your own
defun with an interactive declaration, and bind it to a key.

Also there's the slightly higher-level gnus-summary-search-forward,
which can feed into either of the previous functions (despite its name
it goes both forward and back), and also search for specific subject
lines.

Yours,
Eric

* Re: How to alter behavior of 'gnus-summary-next-article'
@ 2013-05-04 16:05   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2013-05-04 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> When opening a group and using gnus-summary-next-article ('N') to find
>> first unread gnus finds the message but then opens it too. I'd like to
>> just find the next new message but NOT open it.
>>
>> Is there an existing command that does that? If not how might I piece
>> together something that would allow me to do that with a minimal
>> key press?
>
> I don't think that anything like that is bound by default, but calling
> (gnus-summary-find-next t) in the summary buffer should do what you
> want. Also see gnus-summary-find-prev. You could wrap that in your own
> defun with an interactive declaration, and bind it to a key.

Thank you, and yes (gnus-summary-find-next t) does sort of work.
Oddly I found this behavior on my first couple of tests:
In a summary buffer (this group) with just 3 unread;

first eval of (gnus-summary-find-next t) goes to next unread and does
not open it.  Whoopee, just what I was after

Next eval goes to next unread as expected.

But now the next unread is in a thread under the article found by the
previous (above) eval. (Second eval of (gnus-summary-find-next t))

So when I eval (gnus-summary-find-next t) for the third time, instead
of finding the next unread message which is in a thread... the cursor
runs to the far right of the summary subject line found by previous
eval. (eval number 2)

That is, it doesn't open the thread but runs to the end of summary
line of the unread message in the thread above it which is the top of
thread.

I vaguely remember something about this coming up a good while ago
where gnus cursor behaves as above but don't recall what if any
solution there was.

PS - when OP first posted..  I was running a few mnth old version of
ma gnus but as of this message now running latest ma gnus.  So my
tests and report above were done on latest ma gnus. Ma Gnus v0.8