* Respooing nnimap with nnmail-split-fancy
@ 2012-06-18 22:24 Damon Haley
From: Damon Haley @ 2012-06-18 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi, I split IMAP mail happily using the following setting, which works
well.

(setq nnimap-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

But, when I run gnus-summary-respool-article on an IMAP message, I get
prompted with "Backend to use when respooling (default nnmail):"

I then chose "nnimap" but then it won't accept any of my server choices
like 'cu' or provide me with any default choices.

Does the ability to fancy split IMAP mail exist yet?  I know my nnmail
respooling works well without any effort.

Here's my IMAP set up:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "cu"
               (nnimap-address "exchange.university.edu")
               (nnimap-stream ssl)
               (nnimap-server-port 993)
               (nnimap-authenticator login)
               (nnir-search-engine imap)
               (nnimap-expunge-on-close never)
               (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
               )

Thanks,

Damon

* Re: Respooing nnimap with nnmail-split-fancy
@ 2012-06-19  2:32 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-06-19  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Damon Haley <dkh@member.fsf.org> writes:

> Hi, I split IMAP mail happily using the following setting, which works
> well.
>
> (setq nnimap-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

See (info "(gnus) Splitting in IMAP"), and search for `fancy'
there.  The variable is nnimap-split-rule for me.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Respooing nnimap with nnmail-split-fancy
@ 2012-06-19 16:48   ` Damon Haley
From: Damon Haley @ 2012-06-19 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> Damon Haley <dkh@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Hi, I split IMAP mail happily using the following setting, which works
>> well.
>>
>> (setq nnimap-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>
> See (info "(gnus) Splitting in IMAP"), and search for `fancy'
> there.  The variable is nnimap-split-rule for me.

Hmm, it looks like the same issue I am experiencing was documented here
(unresolved):

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/74703

I can't see to get rid of this message when trying to repool IMAP
articles, even when gnus-summary-respool-query is working fine.

Here's the error I get:

"gnus-summary-respool-article: No method given for respooling

Here are my relevant settings:

(setq nnimap-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "pu"
               (nnimap-address "exchange.pu.edu")
               (nnimap-stream ssl)
               (nnimap-server-port 993)
               (nnimap-authenticator login)
               (nnir-search-engine imap)
               (nnimap-expunge-on-close never)
               (nnimap-split-methods default)
               (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")))

It looks like the select method for nnimap is defined as this:

("nnimap" post-mail address prompt-address physical-address respool
 server-marks)

Is there a way to make it stop prompting for a physical-address and just
do the right thing like mmnl does?

I'm not good enough with elisp to debug this all the way right now, but
may have more time later.  It does look like a bug to me.  Let me know
if I should file it as one.

Any help appreciated.

@ 2012-06-20  4:58     ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-06-20  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Damon Haley <Damon.Haley@Colorado.EDU> writes:

> XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Damon Haley <dkh@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, I split IMAP mail happily using the following setting, which works
>>> well.
>>>
>>> (setq nnimap-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>>
>> See (info "(gnus) Splitting in IMAP"), and search for `fancy'
>> there.  The variable is nnimap-split-rule for me.
>
> Hmm, it looks like the same issue I am experiencing was documented here
> (unresolved):
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/74703
>
> I can't see to get rid of this message when trying to repool IMAP
> articles, even when gnus-summary-respool-query is working fine.
>
> Here's the error I get:
>
> "gnus-summary-respool-article: No method given for respooling
>
> Here are my relevant settings:
>
> (setq nnimap-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

Let me repeat:  The variable is named `nnimap-split-rule' in my
manual.  Check yours.

--

@ 2012-06-20  7:27   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-06-20  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: ding

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> See (info "(gnus) Splitting in IMAP"), and search for `fancy'
> there.  The variable is nnimap-split-rule for me.

nnimap-split-rule is obsolete since No Gnus 0.12.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org