* Hangup on second article
@ 2012-04-25 16:28 Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2012-04-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I get a hangup whenever I try to select the *second* article in a
summary buffer (ie, I enter the summary buffer and press "n"). Using bzr
trunk emacs, with gnus from emacs. This is a relatively recent bug,
which I've had around in the past, but this time it's repeatable. It
only seems to happen on nntp. It's not related to network issues,
because once I C-g it once, I can browse around as usual without
problem.

Backtrace from toggle-debug-on-quit and C-g during the hangup:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  signal(quit nil)
  byte-code("\b\302V\203\b\303\304\305\303\"\207" [tries gnus-async-current-prefetch-article 3 nil signal quit] 3)
  gnus-async-wait-for-article(323368)
  gnus-async-request-fetched-article("nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel" 323368 #<buffer *Article nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel*>)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(323368 "nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel")
  gnus-article-prepare(323368 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(323368)
  gnus-summary-next-article(t nil)
  gnus-summary-next-unread-article()
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-next-unread-article nil nil)

* Re: Hangup on second article
@ 2012-04-25 22:46 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-04-25 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

antoine.levitt@gmail.com wrote:
> I get a hangup whenever I try to select the *second* article in a
> summary buffer (ie, I enter the summary buffer and press "n"). Using bzr
> trunk emacs, with gnus from emacs. This is a relatively recent bug,
> which I've had around in the past, but this time it's repeatable. It
> only seems to happen on nntp. It's not related to network issues,
> because once I C-g it once, I can browse around as usual without
> problem.

At that time, Gnus says "Opening nntp server on..." in the echo
area, doesn't it?  I suspect there's something wrong in Emacs
(or perhaps Gnus).  As far as I've traced, Emacs reports that
the nntp connection is open, and Gnus tries to communicate with
the server through the channel, but gets stuck.  Related threads:

http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/thread=81306
http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/thread=81501

* Re: Hangup on second article
@ 2012-06-10 20:29 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-06-10 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> I get a hangup whenever I try to select the *second* article in a
> summary buffer (ie, I enter the summary buffer and press "n"). Using bzr
> trunk emacs, with gnus from emacs. This is a relatively recent bug,
> which I've had around in the past, but this time it's repeatable. It
> only seems to happen on nntp. It's not related to network issues,
> because once I C-g it once, I can browse around as usual without
> problem.

[...]

>   gnus-async-wait-for-article(323368)
>   gnus-async-request-fetched-article("nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel" 323368 #<buffer *Article nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel*>)

So you're running a news server locally?  Could there be something wrong
with it?

* Re: Hangup on second article
@ 2012-06-10 21:09   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2012-06-10 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

10/06/12 22:29, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I get a hangup whenever I try to select the *second* article in a
>> summary buffer (ie, I enter the summary buffer and press "n"). Using bzr
>> trunk emacs, with gnus from emacs. This is a relatively recent bug,
>> which I've had around in the past, but this time it's repeatable. It
>> only seems to happen on nntp. It's not related to network issues,
>> because once I C-g it once, I can browse around as usual without
>> problem.
>
> [...]
>
>>   gnus-async-wait-for-article(323368)
>>   gnus-async-request-fetched-article("nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel" 323368 #<buffer *Article nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel*>)
>
> So you're running a news server locally?  Could there be something wrong
> with it?

There could. But it's a pretty standard installation of leafnode, which
*should* be pretty much ok. Plus, there's no reason that leafnode would
bug out on the second message of a group specifically, is there?

Is there something I can do to get more info from gnus, so I can post
more details if this happens again?

* Re: Hangup on second article
@ 2012-06-13 14:25     ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2012-06-13 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

10/06/12 23:09, Antoine Levitt
> 10/06/12 22:29, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
>> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I get a hangup whenever I try to select the *second* article in a
>>> summary buffer (ie, I enter the summary buffer and press "n"). Using bzr
>>> trunk emacs, with gnus from emacs. This is a relatively recent bug,
>>> which I've had around in the past, but this time it's repeatable. It
>>> only seems to happen on nntp. It's not related to network issues,
>>> because once I C-g it once, I can browse around as usual without
>>> problem.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>>   gnus-async-wait-for-article(323368)
>>>   gnus-async-request-fetched-article("nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel" 323368 #<buffer *Article nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.devel*>)
>>
>> So you're running a news server locally?  Could there be something wrong
>> with it?
>
> There could. But it's a pretty standard installation of leafnode, which
> *should* be pretty much ok. Plus, there's no reason that leafnode would
> bug out on the second message of a group specifically, is there?
>
> Is there something I can do to get more info from gnus, so I can post
> more details if this happens again?

Happened again today. FWIW, setting gnus-asynchronous to nil made it
disappear. I increased verboseness, and saw it bugged out on "waiting
for async article". I think the async download works fine, but then some
weird condition makes it hang. To be more precise, I marked a few
articles as unread in gnus.general, exited, then entered it with SPC,
which displayed the first article. It also precached the next article :
Prefetching article 8024 in group
nntp+localhost:gmane.emacs.gnus.general. Very nice, thank
you. nntp-record-commands showed me the following.

20120613T161447.592 localhost GROUP gmane.emacs.gnus.general
20120613T161447.595 localhost XOVER 7963-7963
20120613T161447.634 localhost XOVER 8022-8030
20120613T161447.838 localhost ARTICLE 8022
20120613T161447.990 localhost GROUP gmane.emacs.gnus.general
20120613T161447.991 localhost ARTICLE 8024

So far, so good. Then I press "n", going to the next unread article, and
then I get "waiting for async article" which hangs, with no further
entries in *nntp-log*. I definitely think this is a gnus issue. I don't
see any other setting related to asynchronous behavior in my config
file.

Hope that helps,
Antoine