* antispam recommendations
@ 2012-03-01 19:35 prad
From: prad @ 2012-03-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

greylisting is good, but insufficient.
i've used blacklisting of ip addresses on exim and that's ok, but it's
awkward to keep up.

i used to use bogofilter on claws-mail a year ago.

are there any recommendations for setting up anti-spam on gnus?
i download email from our server with pop.

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: antispam recommendations
@ 2012-03-01 21:25 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-03-01 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Mar 01 2012, prad wrote:

> are there any recommendations for setting up anti-spam on gnus?
> i download email from our server with pop.

I've good experience with this setup:
fetchmail (imap or pop) -> postfix -> procmail ->
spamassassin (via .procmailrc) -> several spool files in ~/.mail ->
gnus with
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "Email")
      mail-sources       '((file) (directory :path "~/.mail")))

--
           Peter

* Re: antispam recommendations
@ 2012-03-02 18:20   ` prad
From: prad @ 2012-03-02 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 01 2012, prad wrote:
>
>> are there any recommendations for setting up anti-spam on gnus?
>> i download email from our server with pop.
>
> I've good experience with this setup:
> fetchmail (imap or pop) -> postfix -> procmail ->
> spamassassin (via .procmailrc) -> several spool files in ~/.mail ->
> gnus with
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "Email")
>       mail-sources       '((file) (directory :path "~/.mail")))

thx for this, peter!

i decided to nip things at the source with

spamassassin
sa-exim

following parts of these guides:
http://commons.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/SpamAssassin/Integrating_SpamAssassin_with_Exim#Spam-Checking_All_Incoming_Mail
http://www.stearns.org/doc/archives/spamassassin-setup.v0.5.html

i can also black/white list things there, and even managed to block
myself which gave me great pleasure for some reason. the plugin for
activating shortcircuiting has moved from v310.pre (as one guide
indicated) to v320.pre

sa marks things as **** SPAM **** and i can filter
out on arrival.

seems to be working nicely for now.