* TLS problems on nnimap (emacs22 and maybe emacs23)
@ 2012-01-27 13:55 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-01-27 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I saw this problem (at least I seem to remember that it had the same
offending commit) on emacs 23 on debian testing yesterday.  But it was
more elusive there.  After I had reset the bisect and had gone to head,
it went away, so I didn't report it there (I will check when I get home
that I actually correctly ended the git bisect).

Today I saw the issue on emacs22 on CentOS5.

The issue is that nnimap fails to open an IMAPS connection:
Opening connection to imap.mydomain.no via tls...
Opening TLS connection to `imap.mydomain.no'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993 imap.mydomain.no'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993 imap.mydomain.no --protocols ssl3'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect imap.mydomain.no:993 -no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...done
Opening TLS connection to `imap.mydomain.no'...done
proto-stream-get-response: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

git bisect tells me this:

~/git/gnus$ git bisect good
978b28444a45be09524682cacbd95fca9e9d28f5 is the first bad commit
commit 978b28444a45be09524682cacbd95fca9e9d28f5
Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@rusty.(none)>
Date:   Thu Jan 26 20:30:11 2012 +0100

    Wait for :end-of-capability, not :end-of-command.

:040000 040000 29e1ce17851ae3f872f8ba5657e94089046c25fc f2ebff9b74dfbe864057207112b062e3933c02de M      lisp

* Re: TLS problems on nnimap (emacs22 and maybe emacs23)
@ 2012-01-27 15:46 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-01-27 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I saw this problem (at least I seem to remember that it had the same
> offending commit) on emacs 23 on debian testing yesterday.  But it was
> more elusive there.  After I had reset the bisect and had gone to head,
> it went away, so I didn't report it there (I will check when I get home
> that I actually correctly ended the git bisect).

I had just been unsuccessful in restoring the git bisect.  "git branch"
revealed that the branch was "(No branch)".

I think I tried "git bisect end" instead of "git bisect reset", and
didn't notice the error message...?

Anyway, the git gnus is back on master, and I can confirm that Emacs 23
on debian testing has the exact same issue.

This is the commit that introduced the issue:
 http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=978b28444a45be09524682cacbd95fca9e9d28f5

* Re: TLS problems on nnimap (emacs22 and maybe emacs23)
@ 2012-01-27 16:06 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I saw this problem (at least I seem to remember that it had the same
> offending commit) on emacs 23 on debian testing yesterday.

I think this should probably work again now.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* Re: TLS problems on nnimap (emacs22 and maybe emacs23)
@ 2012-01-27 16:42   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-01-27 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> I saw this problem (at least I seem to remember that it had the same
>> offending commit) on emacs 23 on debian testing yesterday.

> I think this should probably work again now.

Yes.  I can verify that it works on emacs 23 on debian testing, with the
current git head.
 http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=3364f2ba4a2e156d63de014cc6d196dc92cddd7e

* Re: TLS problems on nnimap (emacs22 and maybe emacs23)
@ 2012-01-30 21:25     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-01-30 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>>> I saw this problem (at least I seem to remember that it had the same
>>> offending commit) on emacs 23 on debian testing yesterday.

>> I think this should probably work again now.

> Yes.  I can verify that it works on emacs 23 on debian testing, with the
> current git head.
>  http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=3364f2ba4a2e156d63de014cc6d196dc92cddd7e

I can verify that the fix worked for emacs 22 as well.