* problems with archive
@ 2011-06-14 18:57 lee
From: lee @ 2011-06-14 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

my attempt to have all outgoing messages archived by default have lead
to having all mail groups listed doubly in my group viev like:

        1 : mail.lists.ding.gnus.org
        * : nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.ding.gnus.org

Trying to enter the nnfolder gives the error message:

,----
| gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't activate group
| nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.ding.gnus.org: Empty group:
| mail.lists.ding.gnus.org
`----

When I go into the server view, there appears to be for every mail group
I have another server entry:

,----
|      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
|      {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
|      {nnfolder:archive+nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.mutt-users} (opened)
|      {nnfolder:archive+nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.courier-users} (opened)
|      {nnfolder:archive+nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.exim-users} (opened)
|      {nnfolder:archive+nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.debian-isp} (opened)
|      {nnfolder:archive+nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.debian-enterprise} (opened)
|      {nnfolder:archive+nnfolder+archive:mail.lists.courier-imap} (opened)
| [...]
`----

These entries have been created automatically. This seems to be badly
messed up now. How can I fix this?

When killing the {nnfolder:archive} server entry, I´m asked if I want to
kill all it´s groups along with it. I did that two times or so now and
found that after answering yes, all my all email was gone. I had to edit
the active file to be able to access it again. I take it I was lucky
that the emails weren´t actually deleted, and now I´m worried that they
eventually might be expired. Is there a way to automatically regenerate
the active file?

Searching for expire marks finds:

,----
| lee@yun:~/Mail$ find . -name .marks |xargs grep -i expire
| ./mail/0-incoming/.marks:((expire 3 5 15 17 (24 . 25) 28) (read (1 . 42) (44 . 129) (131 . 133) 137 (139 . 147) (149 . 307) (309 . 331)))
| lee@yun:~/Mail$
`----

Is there any other place where expiry information is kept?

What about the "read" marks? Is it normal for them to include articles
that don´t exist anymore? If not, could I just remove all ".marks"
files? ATM, losing the marks won´t hurt.