* open link in article buffer
@ 2011-02-09 17:40 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Is there a key binding/command to launch the url (first usually) in the article
body buffer while still focus is in the summary on the article headline?
I probably missed it in the docs.

* Re: open link in article buffer
@ 2011-02-09 18:20 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: nognus

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Richard,

> Is there a key binding/command to launch the url (first usually) in
> the article body buffer while still focus is in the summary on the
> article headline?  I probably missed it in the docs.

You can hit TAB in the summary buffer until the right link is selected,
and then hit RET.  Of course, that selects the article buffer.  But with
`h' you can easily toggle between summary/article.

HTH,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: open link in article buffer
@ 2011-02-10 13:01   ` yagnesh raghava yakkala
From: yagnesh raghava yakkala @ 2011-02-10 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Tassilo.,

I am new to gnus. I have problem with the above mention way of follow
the link in article buffer. After I press RET , my gnus waits for
browser to quit. until unless I close the browser(my default browser is
firefox) I cant access gnus/emacs. Is this something relate to my emacs
config.?

Yagnesh

* Re: open link in article buffer
@ 2011-02-10 15:03     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yagnesh raghava yakkala; +Cc: ding

yagnesh raghava yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> I am new to gnus. I have problem with the above mention way of follow
> the link in article buffer. After I press RET , my gnus waits for
> browser to quit. until unless I close the browser(my default browser
> is firefox) I cant access gnus/emacs. Is this something relate to my
> emacs config.?

That sounds like the browser process is started synchonously, which is
not really what one would expect.  What's the value of your
`browse-url-browser-function'?

I guess, it's `browse-url-firefox', right?  If so, does

  (browse-url-firefox "http://www.google.com") ;; C-x C-e here

also block emacs until you close firefox?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: open link in article buffer
@ 2011-02-10 23:22       ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-02-10 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

...and is firefox already running when you open the link, or does it get
launched by gnus?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: open link in article buffer
@ 2011-02-18 20:31       ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-02-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> yagnesh raghava yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
>> I am new to gnus. I have problem with the above mention way of follow
>> the link in article buffer. After I press RET , my gnus waits for
>> browser to quit. until unless I close the browser(my default browser
>> is firefox) I cant access gnus/emacs. Is this something relate to my
>> emacs config.?
>
> That sounds like the browser process is started synchonously, which is
> not really what one would expect.  What's the value of your
> `browse-url-browser-function'?

> I guess, it's `browse-url-firefox', right?  If so, does
>
>   (browse-url-firefox "http://www.google.com") ;; C-x C-e here
>
> also block emacs until you close firefox?

browse-url-browser-function was set to browse-url-default-browser. now I
changed it to browse-url-firefox. now its working as intended.

Thanks.
yagnesh.

[snipped]