* Re: No mairix binding
       [not found] <87d4e9on05.fsf@mcbain.luannocracy.com>
@ 2009-01-27 12:33 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-01-27 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Abrahams, ding

that has been posted to gnus.gnus-bug as well.

[Followup from gnus-bug to ding@gnus.org]

David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
> Gnus v5.13
> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
>  of 2009-01-05 on mcbain
> 200 news.ett.com.ua InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 ready (posting ok).
>

>   2.18.2.5 Configuring nnmairix
>
>   In group mode, type `G b c'
>   (`nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group').  This will ask you for all
>   necessary information and create a `nnmairix' server as a foreign
>   server.
>
> When I fire up Gnus, there is no such binding in the *Group* buffer (I
> presume that's what "in group mode" means?).  That remains true even
> after `M-x load-library nnmairix'

Currently, you have to put (require 'nnmairix) in your .gnus to make the
bindings work, since they're set up in the gnus-group-mode-hook.

We should set up a permanent binding in group mode for an autoloaded
nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group. I didn't do this yet, since
there was no definite decision on what key bindings nnmairix should
use. At the moment, it uses the 'G b' prefix in group mode and '$' in
summary mode, while nnir uses 'G G'. Reiner suggested three alternatives
to improve this situation[*], where I voted for using 'G G' as a prefix
for nnmairix in all modes and using 'G G i' for nnir.

-David

[*] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/67055

* Re: No mairix binding
@ 2009-01-27 14:30   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2009-01-27 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Tue Jan 27 2009, David Engster <deng-AT-randomsample.de> wrote:

> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to gnus.gnus-bug as well.
>
> [Followup from gnus-bug to ding@gnus.org]
>
> David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>> Gnus v5.13
>> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
>>  of 2009-01-05 on mcbain
>> 200 news.ett.com.ua InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 ready (posting ok).
>>

>>   2.18.2.5 Configuring nnmairix
>>
>>   In group mode, type `G b c'
>>   (`nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group').  This will ask you for all
>>   necessary information and create a `nnmairix' server as a foreign
>>   server.
>>
>> When I fire up Gnus, there is no such binding in the *Group* buffer (I
>> presume that's what "in group mode" means?).  That remains true even
>> after `M-x load-library nnmairix'
>
> Currently, you have to put (require 'nnmairix) in your .gnus to make the
> bindings work, since they're set up in the gnus-group-mode-hook.

I don't think it's that.  I don't have a (require 'nnmairix) and now
it's working.  I think the problem is that I was investigating mairix by
walking through the info pages, and I had already started Gnus.  If you
do that, nnmairix-group-mode-hook, which sets up the keybindings, never
gets called.

> We should set up a permanent binding in group mode for an autoloaded
> nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group. I didn't do this yet, since
> there was no definite decision on what key bindings nnmairix should
> use. At the moment, it uses the 'G b' prefix in group mode and '$' in
> summary mode, while nnir uses 'G G'. Reiner suggested three alternatives
> to improve this situation[*], where I voted for using 'G G' as a prefix
> for nnmairix in all modes and using 'G G i' for nnir.

BTW, has anyone published a comparison article between all the fancy
nnir and nnmairix search methods yet?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: No mairix binding
@ 2010-09-26 14:53   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: bugs

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> We should set up a permanent binding in group mode for an autoloaded
> nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group. I didn't do this yet, since
> there was no definite decision on what key bindings nnmairix should
> use. At the moment, it uses the 'G b' prefix in group mode and '$' in
> summary mode, while nnir uses 'G G'. Reiner suggested three alternatives
> to improve this situation[*], where I voted for using 'G G' as a prefix
> for nnmairix in all modes and using 'G G i' for nnir.

I think that sounds fine.  Could you make it so?

* Re: No mairix binding
@ 2010-09-26 15:25     ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-09-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> We should set up a permanent binding in group mode for an autoloaded
>> nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group. I didn't do this yet, since
>> there was no definite decision on what key bindings nnmairix should
>> use. At the moment, it uses the 'G b' prefix in group mode and '$' in
>> summary mode, while nnir uses 'G G'. Reiner suggested three alternatives
>> to improve this situation[*], where I voted for using 'G G' as a prefix
>> for nnmairix in all modes and using 'G G i' for nnir.
>
> I think that sounds fine.  Could you make it so?

Is there no good option that doesn't require three keystrokes for
doing searches?

Whatever is chosen, I also noticed that there are no menu items
for mairix.  Since I have trouble remembering such long keystrokes, menu
items would be useful.  Also, `G G ?' and/or `G G h' should show a list
of further keystrokes.  And maybe `G G' can say "Type ? for further
options" the way `C-h' does?

Dan

* Re: No mairix binding
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-26 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> Whatever is chosen, I also noticed that there are no menu items
> for mairix.  Since I have trouble remembering such long keystrokes, menu
> items would be useful.

Yes, the nnmairix commands should be in the menu, too.

> Also, `G G ?' and/or `G G h' should show a list of further keystrokes.
> And maybe `G G' can say "Type ? for further options" the way `C-h'
> does?

But all prefix take `?', so it seems redundant...

* Re: No mairix binding
@ 2010-09-26 17:14         ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-09-26 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> Also, `G G ?' and/or `G G h' should show a list of further keystrokes.
>> And maybe `G G' can say "Type ? for further options" the way `C-h'
>> does?
>
> But all prefix take `?', so it seems redundant...

G b is the current nnmairix prefix, but when I type `G b ?', I get

  G b ? is undefined

I wanted to make sure this didn't happen when G b was switched to
something else.

Dan