From: reader@newsguy.com
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: sendmail ssl authentication
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 18:46:27 -0500	[thread overview]

> On Fri, 16 May 2008 18:15:45 -0500, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
>> Odd, when I do it, which is what led to my posting here, It refuses to
>> connect at all:
>>   reader > telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
>> Trying 76.96.30.117...
>>   Finally times out and server closes.
>> So no EHLO is possible.
>
>> I wonder if they block their own customers or something..?
>
> That is quite common these days. Some ISPs even block _all_ port 25
> traffic.

Just checking something here... about what is common.

David can telnet to my smtp server smtp.comcast.net while I cannot.

Comcast.net is my ISP.

Then I find if I ssh to a remote machine that is not on comcast ISP I
can also telnet that server.

So did you mean that it is common for ISPs to block their own users
but not users from the internet?  What would that do for them.  It
seems it would more likely help them to do it the other way round or
like you said... just block all to port 25.

But it turns out there is an smtp server running on port 25 but I
cannot get to it, but people on the internet can...

On the face of it, it sounds ridiculous, so I don't understand why
they would do that.