* Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
       [not found]                             ` <874pbiypad.fsf@bzg.ath.cx>
@ 2008-03-08 11:35                               ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-08 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Karl Fogel, Tassilo Horn, Stefan Monnier, ding, emacs-devel

On Sat, Mar 08 2008, Bastien wrote:
> Following Karl advice I've applied a different patch.  There is now
> `bookmark-make-name-function' *and* `bookmark-make-record-function',
> both buffer local.  For an example on how this is supposed to work
> look at the changes I've made in info.el.
>
> I think it's okay like this.  If you plan to change anything please
> tell me before I work on gnus-bookmark.el.

I didn't follow this discussion closely.  Do I understand correctly
that after changing gnus-bookmark.el, it will take advantage of new
features in bookmark.el that are not present in Emacs < 23.  I.e. it
wont work in Emacs 22 at all (and XEmacs?).

As `gnus-bookmark.el' is quite new in No Gnus, I don't expect many
Emacs <= 22 users use it intensively.  If it is not too much work, it
would be nice to make it work for all supported Emacsen, cf. (info
"(gnus)Emacsen").  But I don't insist on this.  If you don't support
Emacs < 23, please ...

- document that only Emacs 23 and up are supported,

- make sure that it doesn't disturb compiling Gnus with Emacs < 23 too
  much,

- signal appropriate errors when trying to use it in Emacs < 23.

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: Please strip me from further CC's (I read the list(s));
      instead include ding@gnus.org if the discussion is Gnus-related.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
@ 2008-03-08 11:56                                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-08 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, Stefan Monnier, Karl Fogel, Tassilo Horn, emacs-devel

> Do I understand correctly that after changing gnus-bookmark.el, it
> will take advantage of new features in bookmark.el that are not
> present in Emacs < 23.  I.e. it wont work in Emacs 22 at all (and
> XEmacs?).

Yes.

> As `gnus-bookmark.el' is quite new in No Gnus, I don't expect many
> Emacs <= 22 users use it intensively.  If it is not too much work, it
> would be nice to make it work for all supported Emacsen, cf. (info
> "(gnus)Emacsen").  But I don't insist on this.

I think this is too much work, and as you said, not that many people
might be using this feature.

The only thing is this: gnus-bookmark.el was good to get Gnus bookmarks
and *only* them.  This will go away with the new gnus-bookmark.el.  So,
since the new feature of bookmark.el will help many modes provide their
own ways of setting a bookmark, I think it would make sense to have a
"type" key in the bookmark record (similar to the annotation), and be
able to list bookmarks of a certain type only.

C-u C-x r l [Prompt type] Info RET
  => list bookmark of Info type

C-u C-x r l [Prompt type] Gnus RET
  => list Gnus bookmarks

If you think it is a good idea, I will do it.

> If you don't support
> Emacs < 23, please ...
>
> - document that only Emacs 23 and up are supported,
>
> - make sure that it doesn't disturb compiling Gnus with Emacs < 23 too
>   much,
>
> - signal appropriate errors when trying to use it in Emacs < 23.

Ok, will do this.

--
Bastien