From: "Bjørn Mork" <bmork@dod.no>
Subject: Re: Gcc when article is already mailed
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:57:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:

> I just had the problem that I wrote a mail with Gcc to an nnimap
> group. When I pressed C-c C-c, the nnimap connection had timed out, so
> storing the mail in the Gcc group failed. Nevertheless the mail was
> sent using smtp:
>
> ,----
> | Sending...
> | Sending via mail...
> | Opening nnimap server...
> | imap: Connecting to ebox.rath.org...
> | Opening STARTTLS connection to `ebox.rath.org'...done
> | imap: Connecting with STARTTLS...
> | imap: Connecting to ebox.rath.org...failed
> | Opening nnimap server...failed
> | gnus-inews-do-gcc: Can't open server nnimap:
> `----
>
> Then I ended up in buffer containing the message. Restablishing the
> imap connection was no problem in the server buffer, but I wasn't able
> to figure out how to place the message in the group now. C-c C-c sends
> the message by mail again.
>
> Is there a way to store the message in the Gcc group afterwards that I
> was unable to found? Otherwise I think that the message should not be
> send at all if the Gcc group is not accessible.

I've used to work around this problem by modifying the original,
adding X- in front of "To:", "Cc:" and "Bcc:" to avoid resending the
message when hitting C-c C-c again.

But it is a bit annoying and it would be nice if this could simply
Just Work(tm).  Either as you suggest, or at least by offering some
possibility of retrying the IMAP connection without also resending the
message via SMTP.

I guess there is a reason why it does things this way: Gnus can't know
that the Gcc will fail before trying it, at which time the message has
already been sent to via SMTP.  Maybe trying Gcc first would be an
acceptable fix?  Does it have any downside?  I guess it will cause the
reversed problem:  Gcc works but SMTP fails.  But that would probably
be better, given enough warning so that the user knows the message was
not sent.  Or?

Bjørn
--
Marxist!