* threading symbols in summary
@ 2005-02-07 19:52 Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-02-07 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been trying to set the summary buffer up to display threading symbols as
shown in http://my.gnus.org/node/view/121 I've also read a few threads on this
issue, but I'm affraid I don't understand enough about fonts and fontsets to
set this up. I'm using -adobe-courier for pretty much everything, as this font
can correctly display italics for working with auctex and other software, but
it can't display those unicode characters needed for the thread symbols
mentioned above. I've tried switching fonts using the mouse menu (S-button-1)
and the only one that's able to display those is "9x15". This font is too
small in my monitor, but perhaps ok if it's only in the summary buffer, that
uses only the upper window. The other drawback of that font, is that it cannot
show italics.

Can somebody suggest a font that can display both the unicode _and_ italics
characters, and how to set that up? If that's not possible, how can one tell
emacs to put just the summary buffer window in a different font?

Thanks so far.
--
Best wishes,
Sebastian

* Re: threading symbols in summary
@ 2005-02-08  9:18 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-02-08  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Sebastian Luque (2005-02-07) writes:

> I've been trying to set the summary buffer up to display threading
> symbols as shown in http://my.gnus.org/node/view/121
[...]
> Can somebody suggest a font that can display both the unicode _and_
> italics characters, and how to set that up? If that's not possible,
> how can one tell emacs to put just the summary buffer window in a
> different font?

I don't use unicode characters for the summary buffer myself but
remember a thread in the German Gnus newsgroup where Reiner managed to
set up a mixed fontset with efont fonts.  The result can be found at
<URL:http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=en&selm=v91xsxfbht.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>.

--
Ralf

* Re: threading symbols in summary
@ 2005-02-08 11:11   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-02-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 08 2005, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Sebastian Luque (2005-02-07) writes:
[...]
>> If that's not possible, how can one tell emacs to put just the
>> summary buffer window in a different font?

You can customize gnus-summary-*-face.  (Probably you'd program a loop
rather than customizing every font.)  Or you can Use %B inside of
`%N{' (N=1, 2, ...)  and `%}' specifiers:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Formatting Fonts") ]
`----

> I don't use unicode characters for the summary buffer myself but
> remember a thread in the German Gnus newsgroup where Reiner managed to
> set up a mixed fontset with efont fonts.  The result can be found at
> <URL:http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=en&selm=v91xsxfbht.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>.

I have moved the screen shots to
<URL:http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/gnus/screen-shots/>.

I don't use this mixed setup anymore.  My arrows are displayed with
the font -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1,
but this also doesn't have an italic variant, IIRC.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: threading symbols in summary
@ 2005-02-08 18:40     ` Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-02-08 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:11:37 +0100, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

[...]

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Formatting Fonts") ]
> |    Text inside the `%{' and `%}' specifiers will have their normal
> | faces set using `gnus-face-0', which is `bold' by default.  If you say
> | `%1{', you'll get `gnus-face-1' instead, and so on.  Create as many
> | faces as you wish.
> `----

I thought about that, and put this in ~/.gnus.el:

(defface my-gnus-face-4
	 '((t (:family
	 "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1")))
	 "Gnus face for gnus-face-4. Used for unicode symbol thread.")

and then in gnus-summary-line-format:

(setq gnus-summary-line-format
      "%U%R %&user-date;%-14=%i:[%(%4{%B%}%s%-75=%)] %-18,18n |%t\n"
      gnus-face-4 'my-gnus-face-4)

but the symbols still show up as squares. Do these lines look ok?

Thanks to both of you,

--
Sebastian Luque