* Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-05 17:44 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (15 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-12-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey.  Remember me?

Anyway, Romain Francoise reminded me that it was ten years ago that I
started rewriting Gnus.  (I thought that was next year.)  But
Googling revealed this:

So that's been and gone, but the ChangeLog says that the first
releases were:

--------
Mon Dec 12 18:15:03 1994  Lars Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>

	* gnus.el: Version 0.2 released after some initial bugs were
	fixed.

Sun Dec 11 06:32:40 1994  Lars Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>

	* gnus.el: The very first (ding) Gnus pre-release.
--------

Pretty typical.  :-)

So it's six days until the biiig anniversary.  Which is, true to
form, too late to create something marvelous, but I could try to whip
up some t-shirts in time for X-mas.  Long-sleeved ones, since it's
winter and all.  (In some parts of the world)

Taking a cue from the final sentence in the message referred to
above, I just put this together as a stab towards a design:

Any interest?  I'm not even sure whether it's possible to get this
together in such a short time, and it's doubtful that the postal
service will be able to get them out in time for, er, whatever, but
isn't that just what Gnus development is about?  :-)

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-05 20:53 ` Israel T
                   ` (14 subsequent siblings)
From: Israel T @ 2004-12-05 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hey.  Remember me?
>
> Anyway, Romain Francoise reminded me that it was ten years ago that I
> started rewriting Gnus.  (I thought that was next year.)  But

Thank you for continuing to work on Gnus for the last 10 years.
Here is to the next unpaid 10 years of hard labour !
(hint ! hint ! )

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-05 23:00 ` Steven E. Harris
                   ` (13 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2004-12-05 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Any interest?

Consider me an interested customer.

I'd also like to get a shirt with the "In a cloud/bones of steel"
design from the mugs a few years ago.

--
Steven E. Harris

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-06  6:57 ` Romain Francoise
                   ` (12 subsequent siblings)
From: Romain Francoise @ 2004-12-06  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Taking a cue from the final sentence in the message referred to
> above, I just put this together as a stab towards a design:

I had imagined you would go for something catchier, like, say:

(ding) 1994-2004: Celebrating a decadent decade of proud frobnication

But then that wouldn't fit on a t-shirt.  ;-)

> Any interest?

Count me in.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | I've become someone else's
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | nightmare...

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06  9:26 ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2004-12-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>

> Any interest?

Yep.

--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-06  9:41   ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-12-06  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am interested in one t-shirt too. Just I am in China mainland, and
cost plus mailing fee may be too high for me. The best I can buy it from
some local distributor in China. Is it possible?

--
春风和气纯乎纯矣
烈日秋霜正者正也

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-06 10:07     ` Israel T
From: Israel T @ 2004-12-06 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I 'd probably want one too since I have no Gnus relics/memorabilia at all.

Although being summer here with temperatures of 34 to 40 Celsius, I would really
prefer a short sleeved tshirt that I could wear to the gym. But I guess that
you can only make one kind since the numbers are unlikely to be very high.

How much is is likely to cost ,bearing in mind that it would have to be posted
to Sydney ?

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 10:31 ` Norbert Koch
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Norbert Koch @ 2004-12-06 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Any interest?

Sure, I'm always short of good T-shirts :-)

norbert.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 14:45 ` Simon Josefsson
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-12-06 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Any interest?

Sure.

Entertainingly, the very first reply expressed a wish for a threaded
Emacs...

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 15:20 ` Oystein Viggen
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Oystein Viggen @ 2004-12-06 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to pre-order my anniversary t-shirt/sweater/boxershorts/whatever now.

..provided you make them black this time ;)

Øystein
--
If it ain't broke, don't break it.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 15:30 ` Harry Putnam
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-12-06 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Taking a cue from the final sentence in the message referred to
> above, I just put this together as a stab towards a design:

> Any interest?  I'm not even sure whether it's possible to get this
> together in such a short time, and it's doubtful that the postal
> service will be able to get them out in time for, er, whatever, but
> isn't that just what Gnus development is about?  :-)

Hey Lars, good to hear from you.

I'll take 4 with pockets...  Or not if thats what is decided.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 15:32 ` Jouni K Seppanen
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Jouni K Seppanen @ 2004-12-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Any interest?

Yeah, I'd buy one. How about adding an inspirational slogan, like, uh,
"Casual users shouldn't notice anything much" (from <URL: http://www.
gnus.org/history.html>)?

--
Jouni K Seppänen

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 18:16 ` David Hanak
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: David Hanak @ 2004-12-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Any interest?

Count me in.

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 18:40 ` Edward O'Connor
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2004-12-06 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Lars> Any interest?

Count me in for one.

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
ted@oconnor.cx

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-06 22:35   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-12-06 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars> Any interest?

> Count me in for one.

Count me in, as well.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-06 23:24 ` Josh
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Josh @ 2004-12-06 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Any interest?

I'm in.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-07  0:17 ` Norman Walsh
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Norman Walsh @ 2004-12-07  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> was heard to say:
| Any interest?  I'm not even sure whether it's possible to get this
| together in such a short time, and it's doubtful that the postal
| service will be able to get them out in time for, er, whatever, but
| isn't that just what Gnus development is about?  :-)

Yup, count me in.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | When the politicians complain that TV
http://nwalsh.com/            | turns the proceedings into a circus, it
                              | should be made clear that the circus
                              | was already there, and that TV has
                              | merely demonstrated that not all the
                              | performers are well trained.--Edward R.
                              | Murrow

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Ten year anniversary
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-12-07  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cheng Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> I am interested in one t-shirt too. Just I am in China mainland, and
> cost plus mailing fee may be too high for me. The best I can buy it from
> some local distributor in China. Is it possible?

Well, the shirts will be printed here in Norway, so that's probably
not possible.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07  0:43       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-12-07  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Israel T <rambam@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> How much is is likely to cost ,bearing in mind that it would have to
> be posted to Sydney ?

Postage to Australia is probably going to be in the area of USD10.  I
don't know how much the shirts themselves will cost; I'll be talking
to the t-shirt people tomorrow.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-12-07  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oystein Viggen <oysteivi@tihlde.org> writes:

> ..provided you make them black this time ;)

Of course.  :-)

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07  0:44   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-12-07  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jouni K Seppanen <jks@iki.fi> writes:

> Yeah, I'd buy one. How about adding an inspirational slogan, like, uh,
> "Casual users shouldn't notice anything much" (from <URL: http://www.
> gnus.org/history.html>)?

Heh.  That may be too casual.  If anybody comes up with a slogan, I'm
game.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07  2:20     ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2004-12-07  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

  > If anybody comes up with a slogan, I'm game.

Gnus -- Expanding the bounds of endless possibilities.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|                   Te audire no possum.                   |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 256 bytes --]

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07  4:01       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2004-12-07  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

SY> Gnus -- Expanding the bounds of endless possibilities.

An endless source of nonsensical names?

More parentheses than you can shake a stick at?

10 years closer to its goal:   Configuration = O(INF)

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07  4:06         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2004-12-07  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

My new favorite:

"C-s ding RET RET I a r p Ingebrigtsen RET C-c C-s TAB"

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07 11:09         ` Israel T
From: Israel T @ 2004-12-07 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Israel T <rambam@bigpond.net.au> writes:
>
>> How much is is likely to cost ,bearing in mind that it would have to
>> be posted to Sydney ?
>
> Postage to Australia is probably going to be in the area of USD10.

Ouch !
Well, put me down as "probably interested" but depends on the price...

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07 11:13     ` Israel T
From: Israel T @ 2004-12-07 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Heh.  That may be too casual.  If anybody comes up with a slogan, I'm
> game.

A few random suggestions:

1. (Meta-x gnus)

2. "This is your brain on Gnus" ( followed by line noise )

3. Mainline your news with gnus.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-07 12:15 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-12-07 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

It looks good; I haven't gotten a final OK from the t-shirt people or
a quote, but it's probably going to happen.

The merch is going to be black 100% cotton long-sleeved Hanes
t-shirts.  The tentative unit price is NOK131, or
(/ 131 6.1) => USD21.475409836065577.  Give or take a few decimals.

I'll get the thing finalized.  I'll need the orders in
by...  Thursday, probably.  Friday, possibly.  So this is going to be
one short ordering period...  Visa or Paypal only, I think.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07 19:26   ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2004-12-07 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The tentative unit price is NOK131, or (/ 131 6.1) =>
> USD21.475409836065577.  Give or take a few decimals.

For anyone interested, the current EUR <=> USD rate on PayPal is
1,30872.  I just ordered two shirts with ground shipping to Europe for
$55.00 USD and PayPal charged me EUR 42.03.  Pretty cheap.  :-)

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | I just thought I'd go out
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | with a little bit more style.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07 19:57           ` Jouni K Seppanen
From: Jouni K Seppanen @ 2004-12-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> "C-s ding RET RET I a r p Ingebrigtsen RET C-c C-s TAB"

How about:

  "rad", "happening", "way cool" and "hep"

(from the manual, section 10.2.3 "Why?")

--
Jouni K Seppänen

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-07 21:02   ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 2004-12-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll definitely take one... XL please.  ;)

where is the ordering page?  I didn't see it on gnus.org or ingebritsen.no

-bp

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:15:58 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
<larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> It looks good; I haven't gotten a final OK from the t-shirt people or
> a quote, but it's probably going to happen.
>
> The merch is going to be black 100% cotton long-sleeved Hanes
> t-shirts.  The tentative unit price is NOK131, or
> (/ 131 6.1) => USD21.475409836065577.  Give or take a few decimals.
>
> I'll get the thing finalized.  I'll need the orders in
> by...  Thursday, probably.  Friday, possibly.  So this is going to be
> one short ordering period...  Visa or Paypal only, I think.
>

> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>   larsi@gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-08  3:05             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-12-08  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jouni K Seppanen <jks@iki.fi> writes:

>> "C-s ding RET RET I a r p Ingebrigtsen RET C-c C-s TAB"
>
> How about:
>
>   "rad", "happening", "way cool" and "hep"

I've tried various arrangements of various stuff suggested here, but
I just can't seem to get the design to work.  The more words, the
less attractive the design, for some reason or other.  Or perhaps
that's just me.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-08  5:25       ` Dale Hagglund
From: Dale Hagglund @ 2004-12-08  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Israel> A few random suggestions:

    Israel> 1. (Meta-x gnus)

Of the suggestions posted so far, I like this one best, although I'd
write it in standard emacs fashion:

        M-x gnus RET

Doesn't have the lovely ()'s of the current (ding) design, though.

Dale.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-08 17:04     ` David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2004-12-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Heh.  That may be too casual.  If anybody comes up with a slogan, I'm
> game.

How about "No Gnus is good news"?

--

@ 2004-12-08 18:42       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2004-12-08 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hanak <dhanak@isis.vanderbilt.edu> writes:

> How about "No Gnus is good news"?

That would be appropriate for a No Gnus shirt, not for an anniversary
shirt...

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | I'm going out for a little
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | drive, and it may be the last
                                        | time you see me alive.

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-08 22:11         ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2004-12-08 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> David Hanak <dhanak@isis.vanderbilt.edu> writes:
>
>> How about "No Gnus is good news"?
>
> That would be appropriate for a No Gnus shirt, not for an anniversary
> shirt...

\huge Ten years of Gnus\\
\small ...and still no slogan

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-12 23:04 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-12-12 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Taking a cue from the final sentence in the message referred to
> above, I just put this together as a stab towards a design:

> Any interest?

Gimme!!

-Miles
--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-12 23:07   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-12-12 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> I had imagined you would go for something catchier, like, say:
>
> (ding) 1994-2004: Celebrating a decadent decade of proud frobnication

Ack, no way!  Lars' design is _much_ better!

[Excess verbosity/tweeness is a huge sin in t-shirt/mug design...]

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde

* Re: Ten year anniversary
@ 2004-12-12 23:11               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-12-12 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've tried various arrangements of various stuff suggested here, but
> I just can't seem to get the design to work.  The more words, the
> less attractive the design, for some reason or other.  Or perhaps
> that's just me.

I agree; when the justification for adding some text is just that "it ought
to have some text", that's a pretty sure sign that it really shouldn't have
any text.

-Miles
--
"Unless there are slaves to do the ugly, horrible, uninteresting work, culture
and contemplation become almost impossible. Human slavery is wrong, insecure,

* Re: Ten year anniversary
                   ` (14 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-20  1:17 ` Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2004-12-20  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hey.  Remember me?
>
> Anyway, Romain Francoise reminded me that it was ten years ago that I
> started rewriting Gnus.  (I thought that was next year.)  But
> Googling revealed this:

> So that's been and gone, but the ChangeLog says that the first
> releases were:
>
> --------
> Mon Dec 12 18:15:03 1994  Lars Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>
>
> 	* gnus.el: Version 0.2 released after some initial bugs were
> 	fixed.
>
> Sun Dec 11 06:32:40 1994  Lars Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>
>
> 	* gnus.el: The very first (ding) Gnus pre-release.
> --------
>
> Pretty typical.  :-)
>
> So it's six days until the biiig anniversary.  Which is, true to
> form, too late to create something marvelous, but I could try to whip
> up some t-shirts in time for X-mas.  Long-sleeved ones, since it's
> winter and all.  (In some parts of the world)
>
> Taking a cue from the final sentence in the message referred to
> above, I just put this together as a stab towards a design:

> Any interest?  I'm not even sure whether it's possible to get this
> together in such a short time, and it's doubtful that the postal
> service will be able to get them out in time for, er, whatever, but
> isn't that just what Gnus development is about?  :-)
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>   larsi@gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Yes, count me in as well.