* Filtering email on the IMAP server
@ 2004-07-16 16:34 Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2004-07-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm trying to make my Gnus to filter email at my INBOX folder on the
IMAP server to other subfolders, accordingly to some rules. I'm trying
with no success to use the nnimap-split-fancy methods... Any hints on
how I can better achieve that?

I'm using Courier IMAP as my IMAP server, all my folders are available
and subscribed in Gnus.

Thanks,
--
Godoy.     <godoy@ieee.org>

* Re: Filtering email on the IMAP server
@ 2004-07-16 17:44 ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2004-07-16 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:

> I'm trying to make my Gnus to filter email at my INBOX folder on the
> IMAP server to other subfolders, accordingly to some rules. I'm trying
> with no success to use the nnimap-split-fancy methods... Any hints on
> how I can better achieve that?

OK, I removed the name of the IMAP server ("nnimap+server:INBOX..."
became "INBOX...") from the destination folders and it worked.

But it is very slow, it updates info for each of the available folders,
at every check... Is there any way to speed it up?

TIA,
--

@ 2004-07-16 20:07   ` Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2004-07-16 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:

> Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:
>
> But it is very slow, it updates info for each of the available folders,
> at every check... Is there any way to speed it up?

I am letting procmail do the splitting of the email. When I run gnus,
it finds the mail in an already split state. No delays...

--
Timur Aydin

* Re: Filtering email on the IMAP server
@ 2004-07-16 20:17     ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2004-07-16 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Timur Aydin <ta@taydin.org> writes:

> Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:
>
>> Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:
>>
>> But it is very slow, it updates info for each of the available folders,
>> at every check... Is there any way to speed it up?
>
> I am letting procmail do the splitting of the email. When I run gnus,
> it finds the mail in an already split state. No delays...

The problem is not with the splitting. It is with some kind of update
Gnus is doing for every folder... The splitting is fast and works
perfectly now.

I am willing to let the email at the IMAP server so that I can have
access to each either through Gnus or the webmail interface. By using
Gnus to filter messages I have the advantage of modifying filtering
rules locally and having messages sorted out at the server, without
having to do that manually.

Be seeing you,
--

@ 2004-07-16 21:18       ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2004-07-16 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:

> The problem is not with the splitting. It is with some kind of update
> Gnus is doing for every folder... The splitting is fast and works
> perfectly now.

OK... It became fast enough, without any changes at all.

It is working perfectly now :-)

Thanks for everything.

Be seeing you,
--

@ 2004-07-19 19:33       ` Chris Shenton
       [not found]         ` <86hds3aj1j.fsf-bvSyCKhI1+1mFww3J7gtCmD2FQJk+8+b@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Shenton @ 2004-07-19 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:

> The problem is not with the splitting. It is with some kind of update
> Gnus is doing for every folder... The splitting is fast and works
> perfectly now.

I have to add a "Me too!". Also using courier-imap.

Some times it seems to update but not always. When it does, it's
intolerably slow, like half an hour or more. I have a fair amount of
mail on the IMAP server but not mind-blowing like some mail packrats.
I ^G to quit, then to R to Restart Gnus. Painful but faster than
waiting all day.

@ 2004-07-20  6:49           ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-07-20  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:33:44 -0400 Chris Shenton wrote:

Chris> Jorge Godoy <godoy-EkmVulN54Sk@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> The problem is not with the splitting. It is with some kind of update
>> Gnus is doing for every folder... The splitting is fast and works
>> perfectly now.

Chris> Some times it seems to update but not always. When it does,
Chris> it's intolerably slow, like half an hour or more.

I remember having similar problems (quite a while ago). At the time I
always had a second (identical) nnimap entry in the server buffer.

It might be related to the way you specify gnus-message-archive-group,
i.e. now I include "nnimap+FHI:" in the names given.
On the other hand it might be the agent. One thing that might help is
to delete the entire agent store.

Sorry I am so vague. I never really figured what caused the problem
and don't remember exactly how I solved it.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: Filtering email on the IMAP server
@ 2004-07-20 12:25             ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2004-07-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)