* Smilies ;)
@ 2003-05-14 18:29 Jon Ericson
From: Jon Ericson @ 2003-05-14 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Recently I turned on smilies again.  As with the last time I tried it,
the characters were removed from the displayed article and the image
was *not* displayed.  The solution I hit upon was to customize
smiley-data-directory to /usr/local/lib/xemacs/site-packages/etc/smilies/.

The default is /share/emacs/etc/smilies/, but that only has the pbm
versions.  For some reason or another, my build of XEmacs on cygwin
doesn't display pbm files.

Should s-d-d default somewhere else?  Or should the xpm files be
installed in /share/emacs/etc/smilies/?  If for some reason the image
can't be displayed, could the original characters be displayed?  Have
I spent too much time on this silly little feature? :)

Thanks,
Jon
--
  Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the
  light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.  But whoever lives by

* Re: Smilies ;)
@ 2003-10-18 13:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-18 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> The default is /share/emacs/etc/smilies/, but that only has the pbm
> versions.  For some reason or another, my build of XEmacs on cygwin
> doesn't display pbm files.

Odd.  I thought all X/Emacsen displayed pbm files these days...

> Should s-d-d default somewhere else?  Or should the xpm files be
> installed in /share/emacs/etc/smilies/?  If for some reason the image
> can't be displayed, could the original characters be displayed?

Yes, that would be nice.  Hm...  how do we detect the situation where
image display fails?  I seem to recall it can fail very silently in
some cases...

> Have I spent too much time on this silly little feature? :)

Unthinkable!

* Re: Smilies ;)
@ 2003-10-18 15:13   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2003-10-18 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

  LMI> Odd.  I thought all X/Emacsen displayed pbm files these days...

I'm pretty sure that XEmacs doesn't do pbm.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|              Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.               |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 256 bytes --]

* Re: Smilies ;)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <sryoungs@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> I'm pretty sure that XEmacs doesn't do pbm.

Right.