* fancy split regexp?
@ 2002-05-08 18:48 Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-05-08 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I must be being pretty dense here -- perhaps someone could help me
out.  Here's the rule:

	("Resent-To"
	 "\\(.+\\)@packages\\.qa\\.debian\\.org"
	 "mail.debian.pts.\\1")

This does not work.

Variations on this, such as .*, [a-z-_]+ (or *), \\w+, etc do not
work!  The versions with * always seem to match nothing, and the
message would be split into mail.debian.pts., the versions with +
always seem to match e: mail.debian.pts.e

The message I'm using for testing has this header:

This works fine:

(let ((str "developers-reference@packages.qa.debian.org"))
  (string-match "\\<\\(.*\\)@packages\\.qa\\.debian\\.org\\>" str)
  (match-string 1 str))

=> "developers-reference"

What could possibly be going on here?

--
Josh Huber

* Re: fancy split regexp?
@ 2002-05-08 18:58 ` Bryan
From: Bryan @ 2002-05-08 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

My guess is that this has to do with the fact that nnmail-split-it
uses re-search-backwards to do it's pattern matching.

BrYan

@ 2002-05-08 19:26   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-05-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bryan <bilko@onebabyzebra.com> writes:

> My guess is that this has to do with the fact that nnmail-split-it
> uses re-search-backwards to do it's pattern matching.

Hmm, okay.

That really sucks.  I'm trying to fiddle with re-search-backward, but
I can't seem to get it to go past the word boundry (-) in
developers-reference.  I always get reference out.

I'll look into it further ;)

thanks,
--
Josh Huber

* Re: fancy split regexp?
@ 2002-05-08 19:39     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-05-08 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> I'm trying to fiddle with re-search-backward, but I can't seem to
> get it to go past the word boundry (-) in developers-reference.  I
> always get reference out.

Try this:
("Resent-To"
"\\`\\(.*[^!#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~-]\\)?\\([!#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~-]*\\)@packages\\.qa\\.debian\\.org"
 "mail.debian.pts.\\2")

paul

* Re: fancy split regexp?
@ 2002-05-08 21:51       ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-05-08 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Try this:
> ("Resent-To"
> "\\`\\(.*[^!#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~-]\\)?\\([!#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~-]*\\)@packages\\.qa\\.debian\\.org"
>  "mail.debian.pts.\\2")

Oh dear god...

Can we somehow use re-search-forward for splitting?  I tried this (the
above regexp), and it works in a scratch buffer, but not in the
fancy-split-rules.  In fact, any time I try and use \\` it seems to
never match.

So, I gave up... (oh, and I found another header to match on ;):

(defun jmh::pts-group (base)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (when (re-search-forward "^X-PTS-Package: \\(.*\\)$" nil t)
    (concat base "." (match-string 1))))

and use it like so:

	(: jmh::pts-group "mail.debian.pts")

probably slower, but I fell a lot better about it :)

Thanks for ideas,

--
Josh Huber

* Re: fancy split regexp?
@ 2002-05-10  9:46         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-10  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Can we somehow use re-search-forward for splitting?  I tried this (the
> above regexp), and it works in a scratch buffer, but not in the
> fancy-split-rules.  In fact, any time I try and use \\` it seems to
> never match.

Sure, \\` only matches at beginning of buffer.  But most mail
addresses are not at the beginning of the buffer.  For example, the
header name comes before the address.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: fancy split regexp?
@ 2002-05-10 15:23           ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-05-10 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sure, \\` only matches at beginning of buffer.  But most mail
> addresses are not at the beginning of the buffer.  For example, the
> header name comes before the address.

Ah, of course.

I guess my point still stands -- since we use re-search-backward it
makes regexps for matching addresses pretty disgusting...IMHO.  Or,
near impossible.

Taking a peek at nnmail-split-it, I'm not ready to start screwing with
that code for fear in breaking people's split rules. =)

perhaps another time.

--
Josh Huber