From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>
Subject: Re: cl in message.el, etc
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 12:28:11 +1000	[thread overview]

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Josh Huber wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

[...]

>> I screwed up in my thinking about the problem space and, as a
>> result, gave you something that works if and only if (= (length
>> mft-regexps) (length recipients)).
>
> Ah, okay.  It's still good to know -- the cl 'and' loop construct only
> works with lists of equal length?

Saying (loop for foo in bar and qux in quux) means that each iteration
will bind 'foo' to the next element of 'bar' /and/ 'qux' to the next
element of 'quux', in parallel.

Once either list is empty the loop terminates, by default. So, they only
perform as many steps as the shortest list.

>> You want the first entry in recipients that matched any regexp in
>> mft-regexps, right?
>
> That's correct.

Good. It occurred to me that I might have had that wrong as well. :)

[... correct code dropped ...]

> Yep, this is it.

That should be as good as, or better than, the existing code. It should
also be comprehensible, so I would be happy to see it committed. `loop'
is a macro and shouldn't be a runtime CL issue...

        Daniel

--
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
        -- William Gibson, __Neuromancer__