Go to nnvirtual group, read one article and then type ^. You'll get: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size I confirmed with latest Gnus 5.8.4 from CVS. Because gnus-override-method is bound, gnus-find-method-for-group always returns nnvirtual. Thus, it ends up in an infinite loop. I don't know this is the right fix, but at least it works for me. Latter half is to prevent an error, Wrong type argument stringp: nil 2000-02-21 Yoshiki Hayashi * nnvirtual.el (nnvirtual-request-article): Bind gnus-override-method to nil. (nnvirtual-request-update-mark): Don't update mark when article is not there.