* Fwd: old style forwarding
@ 1999-11-09  6:57 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1999-11-09  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars wrote:
> Dan Christensen <jdc@chow.mat.jhu.edu> writes:
> > Speaking about the stuff to edit away, included below are the headers
> > I get when I try to forward your messages.  It seems to me that many
> > of these really should not be here, e.g. "X-Gnus-Mail-Source",
> > "X-Gnus-Article-Number" and maybe "Xref", since they were added
> > by Gnus.  Similarly, maybe "X-From-Line:" should be removed or
> > converted back to "From" I think.
>
> I think this has been fixed in 0.85.

In the current cvs version, these lines are still in forwarded
messages:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2656 bytes --]

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: old style forwarding
Date: 13 Jun 1999 02:46:28 +0200

Dan Christensen <jdc@chow.mat.jhu.edu> writes:

> Speaking about the stuff to edit away, included below are the headers
> I get when I try to forward your messages.  It seems to me that many
> of these really should not be here, e.g. "X-Gnus-Mail-Source",
> "X-Gnus-Article-Number" and maybe "Xref", since they were added
> by Gnus.  Similarly, maybe "X-From-Line:" should be removed or
> converted back to "From" I think.

I think this has been fixed in 0.85.

* Re: Fwd: old style forwarding
@ 1999-11-11 13:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-11 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:

> In the current cvs version, these lines are still in forwarded
> messages:

Well, no headers are stripped by default, but you can control the
behavior by setting `message-forward-ignored-headers'.

* Re: Fwd: old style forwarding
@ 1999-11-11 18:48   ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 1999-11-11 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:
>
> > In the current cvs version, these lines are still in forwarded
> > messages:
>
> Well, no headers are stripped by default, but you can control the
> behavior by setting `message-forward-ignored-headers'.

Um, no.

message-forward-ignored-headers doesn't have the expected behavior
(stripping headers from the forwarded msg) because of the following code.
(Forgive me for not putting together a diff).

(defun message-forward (&optional news)
  "Forward the current message via mail.
Optional NEWS will use news to forward instead of mail."
      (when message-forward-ignored-headers
	(save-restriction
	  (narrow-to-region b e)
***	  (message-narrow-to-head)
	  (message-remove-header message-forward-ignored-headers t))))

The *** line narrows to head of the forwarding message, which means that
nothing is stripped from the forwarded message itself.  I expect that this
line should be removed.

While I'm on the subject, I notice that there are two naming conventions
for such variables:

        - gnus-soup-ignored-headers
        - mail-yank-ignored-headers
        - message-forward-ignored-headers

        - message-ignored-bounced-headers
        - message-ignored-news-headers
        - message-ignored-mail-headers
        - message-ignored-supersedes-headers
        - message-ignored-resent-headers
        - message-ignored-cited-headers

That is, should "ignored" be the second or third part of the name?
Maybe the names should be standardized.

--
Jim Davidson
jdavidso @ csi.com

* Re: Fwd: old style forwarding
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-15 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Davidson <jdavidso@nospam.com> writes:

> The *** line narrows to head of the forwarding message, which means that
> nothing is stripped from the forwarded message itself.  I expect that this
> line should be removed.

This has been fixed in the current CVS.

> That is, should "ignored" be the second or third part of the name?
> Maybe the names should be standardized.

Changing the names of the variables would be too confusing for the
users.