From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Replies, (very) wide replies, yanking, and the prefix argument
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 19:28:48 -0800	[thread overview]

> Hi Eric,
>
>> I'm surprised that no one hit this bug before, and I'm not sure what to
>> do with it. We have "S V" (gnus-summary-very-wide-reply-with-original)
>> that uses the prefix argument correctly *and* yanks message content
>> correctly, so I'm not sure there's a need for "S v" to handle the prefix
>> argument both ways. I suppose I could make it handle the prefix argument
>> both ways, though.
>>
>> Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this.
>
> I don't know anything about the implementation in Gnus. But as a data
> point, we have also the 'S w' and 'S W' key bindings in the Summary
> buffer. And 'C-u S w' seems to behave correctly. Perhaps you could
> compare how those commands are implemented?

I'm pretty sure I know how to fix the immediate bug here -- just replace
"yank" with "current-prefix-arg" in the second call to
`gnus-summary-work-articles'. The bug isn't present in "C-u S w" because
the bug is specific to the "very wide" aspect of "S v".

I was mostly confused about the intended behavior regarding prefix
arguments provided to these commands. After looking at it a few times, I
guess the point of the prefix argument for the "S v" commands is that it
allows you to yank the text of the single article under point, while
still using the process/prefix convention to pull in addresses from
current-prefix-arg number of messages. Whereas "S V" would yank the text
of all those messages, as well.

I guess I'd be amazed if anyone was remembering how to use all these
variants, but the rest of Gnus is like that, too, so okay! The
documentation needs some fixing and clarification, though.

Eric