* Groups will not stay in topic
@ 2023-02-11  9:48 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2023-02-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have several topics, and in my ~/.gnus.el they are arranged according
to:

(eval-after-load 'gnus-topic
  '(progn
     (setq gnus-topic-topology
           '(("Gnus" visible) ;; root
             (("topic-1" visible nil nil))
             (("topic-2" visible nil nil ))))
     (setq gnus-topic-alist
           '(("topic-1" ; key of first topic
              "group-1"
              "group-2")
             ("topic-2" ; key of second topic
              "group-a"
              "group-b")
             ("Gnus")))))

I have more than two topics and four groups so the above scheme is
generic only.

Everything works well except for three groups in the final topic. These
groups will only stay in the topic area during the session in which they
were placed. In a new gnus session they have jumped out of the topic and
are visible just below the root "Gnus" but before the first topic. No
matter how often I return them using "Tm" to the last topic they will
have jumped out in the next session.

I can live with it, I suppose, but does anyone recognises the issue and
suggest a solution?

Thanks.

Colin Baxter.

* Re: Groups will not stay in topic
@ 2023-02-13 19:53 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-02-13 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I have several topics, and in my ~/.gnus.el they are arranged according
> to:
>
> (eval-after-load 'gnus-topic
>   '(progn
>      (setq gnus-topic-topology
>            '(("Gnus" visible) ;; root
>              (("topic-1" visible nil nil))
>              (("topic-2" visible nil nil ))))
>      (setq gnus-topic-alist
>            '(("topic-1" ; key of first topic
>               "group-1"
>               "group-2")
>              ("topic-2" ; key of second topic
>               "group-a"
>               "group-b")
>              ("Gnus")))))
>
> I have more than two topics and four groups so the above scheme is
> generic only.
>
> Everything works well except for three groups in the final topic. These
> groups will only stay in the topic area during the session in which they
> were placed. In a new gnus session they have jumped out of the topic and
> are visible just below the root "Gnus" but before the first topic. No
> matter how often I return them using "Tm" to the last topic they will
> have jumped out in the next session.
>
> I can live with it, I suppose, but does anyone recognises the issue and
> suggest a solution?

The first and easiest thing to check is if things are going wrong when
.newsrc.eld is being written, or when it's being read. Set your topics
the way you want them, then save and shut down Gnus. Your .newsrc.eld
file will contain a setq form for `gnus-topic-alist', take a look at
that and see if the groups are in the right topic. That will tell us
where to look next.

* Re: Groups will not stay in topic
@ 2023-02-15 20:19   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2023-02-15 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

    > On 02/14/23 11:06 AM, Colin Baxter wrote:

    >> I have discovered that if I look at the Information (GE) for
    >> the groups that wont stay in a topic they all begin
    >> "nntp+feedbase ..."  The well behaved groups don't. And if I
    >> move nntp news groups to their own topic they have still jumped
    >> out after a new session.
    >>
    >> I don't understand why the nntp group are different.

    > Is the nntp server set as your `gnus-select-method'? Whichever
    > server is in there has "unprefixed" group names: everything else
    > gets eg nnimap+MyServer:INBOX, but the groups on your primary
    > select method don't start with "nntp+feedbase". If that's the
    > case, then my guess is that there's some inconsistency somewhere
    > between prefixed and unprefixed names: probably you are moving
    > prefixed names into the topic, but the next time you start Gnus
    > it is using the unprefixed names, so thinks they don't belong to
    > that topic.

That looks to be what's happening. The "gnus-secondary-select-methods"
indeed pull in only the nntp+feedbase groups. Thanks to you, at least I
now know the cause  of the issue.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.