* star in the group buffer
@ 2021-09-24  8:15 Uwe Brauer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-09-24  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

Some of my groups look like this

*          0: nnimap+UCMgmail:MBOX

I am not sure what the star indicates. I thought unread messages, but
when I visit the group I don't see any unread message.

Does it mean it contains ticked messages?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: star in the group buffer
@ 2021-09-24  8:25 ` Adam Sjøgren
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-09-24  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> *          0: nnimap+UCMgmail:MBOX
>
> I am not sure what the star indicates. I thought unread messages, but
> when I visit the group I don't see any unread message.
>
> Does it mean it contains ticked messages?

If I have groups that contain ticked messages, they show up with a star,
so I think the answer is "yes".

Groups with unread messages are shown with number of unread messages and
in bold for me.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Little addict                                             Adam Sjøgren
  Too close to the bone"                               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: star in the group buffer
@ 2021-09-24  8:32 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-09-24  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Some of my groups look like this
>
> *          0: nnimap+UCMgmail:MBOX
>
> I am not sure what the star indicates. I thought unread messages, but
> when I visit the group I don't see any unread message.

See `gnus-group-line-format' and (info "(gnus) Group Line Specification").
Most probably, it is:

  %M    Only marked articles (character, "*" or " ")

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: star in the group buffer
@ 2021-09-24 14:57 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2021-09-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 24 September 2021 10:15 Uwe Brauer, wrote:

> Hi
>
> Some of my groups look like this
>
> *          0: nnimap+UCMgmail:MBOX
>
> I am not sure what the star indicates. I thought unread messages, but
> when I visit the group I don't see any unread message.
>
> Does it mean it contains ticked messages?

Perhaps these are groups you set to be always visible in the Group buffer?

Use the G p or the G c command to edit group parameters of a group. (G
p presents you with a Lisp-based interface, G c presents you with a
Customize-like interface.

add or set (visible . t)

--
Reliable source, n.:
	The guy you just met.

* Re: star in the group buffer
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-09-26 15:45 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-09-26 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Friday, 24 Sep 2021 at 10:15, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I am not sure what the star indicates. I thought unread messages, but
> when I visit the group I don't see any unread message.

When I see this, it means that I have a summary buffer open for the
group already.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.5 on Debian 11.0

* Re: star in the group buffer
@ 2021-09-27  9:24   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-09-27  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

    Eric> On Friday, 24 Sep 2021 at 10:15, Uwe Brauer wrote:
    >> I am not sure what the star indicates. I thought unread messages, but
    >> when I visit the group I don't see any unread message.

    Eric> When I see this, it means that I have a summary buffer open for the
    Eric> group already.

That does happen, but the star is then placed between the article
count and the group name by default.

Robert

* Re: star in the group buffer
@ 2021-09-27 14:57     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-09-27 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 11:24, Robert Pluim wrote:
> That does happen, but the star is then placed between the article
> count and the group name by default.

It doesn't for me but I guess that's because I've customized
gnus-group-line-format.  So, looking at that variable, the * (at the
start of the line, based on the default setting of that variable) would
seem to be indicating that the group has only marked articles?

I'm not sure I understand what that means in practice.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.5 on Debian 11.0