Gnus development mailing list
* problem with non-ascii group-names
@ 2021-06-03 10:29 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2021-06-03 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Very often, when saving a new message to an nnml-group, that has
accented characters (for example "stéphane"), and then entering that
group, the summary buffer does not show this new message.

Only after several (gnus-group-get-new-news) and switching back and
forth to other groups, after a while the new message shows up.

How could this be solved (and/or debugged) please?

TIA for any hints,
--
           Peter

* Re: problem with non-ascii group-names
@ 2021-06-03 16:00 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-06-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Very often, when saving a new message to an nnml-group, that has
> accented characters (for example "stéphane"), and then entering that
> group, the summary buffer does not show this new message.
>
> Only after several (gnus-group-get-new-news) and switching back and
> forth to other groups, after a while the new message shows up.
>
> How could this be solved (and/or debugged) please?
>
> TIA for any hints,

Can you tell us your Gnus version? Things have changed fairly
dramatically in this area over the past couple of years. Your agent and
cache settings will be relevant, too.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: problem with non-ascii group-names
@ 2021-06-03 17:21   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2021-06-03 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Jun 03 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Can you tell us your Gnus version?

It's in the headers:

> Your agent and cache settings will be relevant, too.

Concerning agent and cache, this is the only thing, that I've
customized:

nnmail-message-id-cache-file is a variable defined in ‘nnmail.el’.
Its value is "~peter/.emacs.d/nnmail-cache"
Original value was "~/.nnmail-cache"
The file name of the nnmail Message-ID cache.

@ 2021-06-03 18:31     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-06-03 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 03 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Can you tell us your Gnus version?
>
> It's in the headers:

I don't think there will be a whole lot you can do -- in mid-2019 I made
some fairly large changes to Gnus to use decoded group names everywhere,
and in the process fixed several bugs related to non-ascii group name. I
don't think any of that is available in Emacs 27. It's possible if we
found the exact bug that the fix could be added to 27, but I don't even
think there will be any more releases of 27 anyway (?, not sure). Your
best bet may be to wait until Emacs 28 is released.

In the mean time, can you look at the active file for this server and
see how the group name is encoded there?

* Re: problem with non-ascii group-names
@ 2021-06-03 18:56       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2021-06-03 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Jun 03 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I don't think any of that is available in Emacs 27.

Ok, then I'll wait for version 28. Do you know, when it's going to be
released?

> In the mean time, can you look at the active file for this server and
> see how the group name is encoded there?

It's UTF-8. And now I notice, that there are several lines for the same
group, if its name has accented characters. For example:

stéphane 277 1 y
stéphane 280 1 y
stéphane 281 1 y
stéphane 282 1 y
stéphane 284 1 y
stéphane 285 1 y

@ 2021-06-03 19:55         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-06-03 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 03 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> I don't think any of that is available in Emacs 27.
>
> Ok, then I'll wait for version 28. Do you know, when it's going to be
> released?

I sure don't! Much less do I know when the various platforms will update
their packages. I sort of get the sense that it might be released within
the next year?

>> In the mean time, can you look at the active file for this server and
>> see how the group name is encoded there?
>
> It's UTF-8. And now I notice, that there are several lines for the same
> group, if its name has accented characters. For example:
>
> stéphane 277 1 y
> stéphane 280 1 y
> stéphane 281 1 y
> stéphane 282 1 y
> stéphane 284 1 y
> stéphane 285 1 y

Well that's interesting! I wonder how that happened. That's definitely a
clue to what's going on, though again I'm not optimistic about getting a
fix to you. If you just delete all the extra lines (leaving the one with
the highest active number) does it fix the behavior you're seeing?

* Re: problem with non-ascii group-names
@ 2021-06-03 20:36           ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2021-06-03 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Jun 03 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> If you just delete all the extra lines (leaving the one with the
> highest active number) does it fix the behavior you're seeing?

I've tried with one example: yes, it seems to fix it.

--

@ 2021-06-03 21:02             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-06-03 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 03 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> If you just delete all the extra lines (leaving the one with the
>> highest active number) does it fix the behavior you're seeing?
>
> I've tried with one example: yes, it seems to fix it.

Which doesn't mean that the problem won't come back again, but at least
narrows the scope of the bug. Thanks for confirming that.

I still think it's unlikely that I'll be able to get a fix to you, but
I'll look into this over the next few weeks, and who knows. In the
meantime, thanks for the bug report :)