* access github pull requests via gnus or any other emacs pkg
@ 2020-12-19 15:45 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-12-19 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

More and more code development is done by pull requests (mostly using
github) One of most annoying thing for me is that I cannot use emacs
more specifically gnus to access these discussions.

Does somebody know either a possibility to connect gnus to github pull
requests or any other emacs pkg that would allow me to connect emacs to
the github pull request pages

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: access github pull requests via gnus or any other emacs pkg
@ 2020-12-19 16:13 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-12-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Dez 19 2020, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Does somebody know either a possibility to connect gnus to github pull
> requests or any other emacs pkg that would allow me to connect emacs to
> the github pull request pages

eww works pretty well on github.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: access github pull requests via gnus or any other emacs pkg
@ 2020-12-19 16:21 ` dick.r.chiang
From: dick.r.chiang @ 2020-12-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

A. Sjoegren I'm sure will comment soon enough, as he made a significant effort
to write a Gnus backend for github.

Personally a run-of-the-mill fancy-split on the regex
"noreply\\.github\\.com" tidily puts all my github news into its own group.
Occasionally I'll reply directly from gnus since Github's
comment-as-email-reply is very nice (but you don't get github-flavored
markdown).  More often though, I click the link in the email where I can get
more context and actually see the code.  Some things I'm afraid are just better
done in a browser as illustrated by the general ill-ease over the debbugs
tracker (I've never seen anyone say debbugs is preferable to Github Issues for
ergonomic reasons, only political reasons).

Creating a gnus backend for github would be a significant undertaking for
someone without previous experience writing backends.  If I were to do it,
I could only ever hope to approximate the debbugs experience, which we
already know to be subordinate to the browser experience.
Unlike the commercial case where the programmer cannot refuse the customer
who asks for something the programmer knows she'll never use, I can clearly
see such a backend would never see real adoption, and as no one's under
contract, it's possible to circumvent this inevitable disappointment.

If you're still not convinced, there's the magit forge package, which gets
you fairly close to github-in-emacs, but by all accounts isn't compelling
enough to see the widespread adoption that magit proper did.

P.S. It's been some time since I was a matlab user, but I appreciated your
efforts trying to revive matlab-mode.  It used to be so nice before it all
came crashing down with Matlab 8.5.

* Re: access github pull requests via gnus or any other emacs pkg
@ 2020-12-19 16:51   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-12-19 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding