* mail-host-address and i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me
@ 2020-12-12 22:29 yarnton
From: yarnton @ 2020-12-12 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

As far as I understand, the function message-make-fqdn in gnus/message.el concats the string "i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me" to system-name if that is not a fully qualified domain name. This is used to construct a unique Message-ID.

To be a bit more precise, it also checks the values of user-mail-address and mail-host-address before defaulting to string with the "tickle-me" substring.

I used to use Gnus, but my MUA these days is Notmuch. Notmuch and other packages use message.el, and I am trying to understand why I need to set up mail-host-address to something arbitrary (I use "gnu.org") in order to avoid the "tickle-me" string.

Is this a bug from Notmuch when calling message.el, some ancient setting from Gnus that doesn't play well with other packages, or something I'm doing wrong? In principle, I don't see why I need to set my email parameters in my .emacs. Those are a concern of Notmuch and MSTMP only.

I think Message-ID should reveal as little information as possible these days, as it can be used for identifying or at least fingerprinting messages. Whenever I use Emacs from a device where the hostname returns a fully qualified name like an IP address, that will leak into my Message-ID. Is there any technical reason for not constructing a random Message-ID like [UUID]@gnu.org?

Thanks.